Just out of curiosity

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by L Oquence, Aug 22, 2014.

1. L Oquence macrumors regular

L Oquence

My powerbook g4 does have an odd problem. it takes about 3 hours to charge to full capacity and then after it reaches about 95 percent battery completely drops to zero.

i ordered a new battery as it is the original apple battery but is there anything else possibly causing it?

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Is this an original battery? I've had a few iBooks with a almost dead battery and takes a long time to charge and the capacity it holds isn't much more than 10 minutes.

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The original battery in my TiBook acted exactly as you've described. A new battery fixed the problem.

4. JohnnyH1012 macrumors member

This problem has occurred to me with my iBook G3 before. What is happening is simply the result of age. The battery in your TiBook is made up of multiple battery cells. Your TiBook assumes that all of these cells are at least in working condition, which leads us to the problem. There is no sensor that tells your TiBook one (or multiple) cells are dead, so when your TiBook gets to 95%, and let's say uses one cells, it suddenly realizes that the rest of them are dead and/or nearly empty, panics, and shuts the computer down. Replacing the battery is about all you can do. At this point in time, I do not know of any applications for calibration that can help you.

5. L Oquence thread starter macrumors regular

L Oquence

its not a tibook.

i figured it was the battery. just figured id ask to make sure it might not be a bigger issue

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

As I said, my TiBook was acting as you describe, and after a new battery reliably runs 3+ hours.

Just be sure you do a battery calibration on the new battery so that you get accurate times.

7. L Oquence thread starter macrumors regular

L Oquence

yeah thats what i figured :)

8. JohnnyH1012 macrumors member

Whoops! I messed up a bit on that one, but my statement still stands true for an Aluminium Powerbook G4 and truly any laptop in general.

9. L Oquence thread starter macrumors regular

L Oquence

thats generally how batteries work :p