Just overclocked my mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by OrangeSVTguy, Feb 6, 2009.

1. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Well I was reading another post and someone posted a link to overclock the mini. I've done it before on G4 towers so I already have experience with this.

One problem, I "soldered" the 2 open jumpers so I could overclock to 1.58ghz. Well I got the "bong" sound but would not boot(NO HDD activity) or no video. So I just removed that solder and just desoldered the 2 resisters so now I have an overclocked Mini G4 @ 1.5ghz. It was originally a 1.42.

I heard there was a 5th jumper(R52) that you can remove to bring it up to 1.67ghz but I can't seem to find it. I don't think I really want to go to 1.83 as I'm not too sure how much the extra heat would do.

Attached Files:

2. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Attached Files:

3. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

All better now :D

Now it's time to put it all back together.

Attached Files:

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Awesome, I didn't know that's how you overclocked things.

6. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I always thought overclocking had to do with BIOS changes and stuff, I didn't know you had to tamper with the hardware. Cool stuff though.

7. TrapOx macrumors 6502

8. Theophany macrumors 6502

Theophany

Macs don't use BIOS, so this is how real men overclock. Naturally, I haven't the guts to do that to my Macs :D

Mega-kudos to the OP, that's some impressive stuff. :)

9. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Thanks this is just really easy because it's the guys that did this in the first place years ago. They are the ones that did all the R&D and probably bricked quite a few Mini's in the process. Kudos to them ;) but thanks anyways.

Yeah the 1.58ghz overclock is running very nice and stable! It hasn't crashed or lockup up with anything. I've let it run all night encoding video :D. I haven't really noticed any significant gains in temperature but iStat did read that the HDD was at 120*F, never tried a before dangit lol. Too bad that's the only temp sensor and I don't even know how reliable that is. Also iStat doesn't even display a fan speed either :p.

Only problem is that (and it's already been stated) that running x-bench will cause it to freeze. I may just go back to 1.5ghz.

10. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

i'd be scared to do it. is it really worth it?

11. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Not really. The difference is there but in the end its still only 10%. Video playback will be where it makes the biggest difference.

12. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I don't know for some people but for myself, I like taking electronics apart and then modifying them in which ever way I can. So to me, it's well worth it.

13. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

wanted to add that i have done this also for years with the g4 mini and emac g4 systems. both the mini 1.25 and 1.42 systems can move to 1.5 with no problems. i've had a few that would run stable at 1.58, but if you want a 100% solid system, run at 1.5 and never have a problem. several of my sytems were used for folding (24x7, 100% cpu load) for years with no problems, totally stable.

good stuff, always love a free upgrade! :apple:

14. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I downloaded that CPU test app so I just let it run all night for the last few days. 18 hours with 100% CPU and the temp on the HDD only read 108*F.

This thing runs so amazingly cool at 1.58ghz. Hasn't crashed or frozen either. I'm very impressed. On to 1.83ghz overclock :eek::D.

Attached Files:

15. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Wow, that reminds me of overclocking the old 680x0 machines. Bust out the soldering iron! :p

16. opera57 macrumors 6502

17. EB66 macrumors 6502

im curious to hear the kind of speed you gained encoding? noticeable?

18. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

can you overclock macbooks? id like to do mine lol:D