just phoned 02..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nicholas-baker, Jul 8, 2008.

1. nicholas-baker macrumors newbie

been told that if you have an order reference number you are getting the phone on friday....even if it says in progress etc...

anyone else had the same...?

2. iPhonetherefore macrumors member

Pretty much yeah, said if you havent head anything by thursday to phone back

3. gazzer82 macrumors regular

As far as i can tell everything that O2 have been saying to people today should be taken with a pinch of salt. So many people have been told different things on the phone, varying from you definatly have an iPhone if you have an order number, to you will get one at some point, but they can't say when. I think until O2 publicly come out and confirm one way or the other, or people start having there status of there orders change we are all left guessing.

Which is no fun at all!!

4. nicholas-baker thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your reply....

fingers crossed! Anyone else in the same situation in terms of it still saying in progress

5. gazzer82 macrumors regular

Yeah me too, got the three emails from O2, currently sat at In Progress like everyone else. When i spoke to them they told me that my account was currently showing as "out of sock" but that just means that the big automated machine hasn't yet processed my order and allocated my stock. He claimed i would find out one way or the other within the next 24 hours via email/sms. However he couldn't be sure at what point my order status would change. He did say it may not change until the device shipped.

6. glanv macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat - "in progress". Trying to convince myself to forget about it for a day or so.

Surely someone at O2 must understand how their inventory system works and when statuses change and what they mean?!

7. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

I think o2 literally do not know how many orders they have taken and give credit clearance to and how many iPhones will be rolling into their supply chain on Wed/Thursday.

8. gazzer82 macrumors regular

yes glanv i am sure the people who look after the inventory/shipping/orders areas know how the system works. Also probably the guys who wrote the system in the first place. Unfortunately the guys on the phones probably don't. I don't really think it's there fault, companies like O2 don't spend much time training there call centre staff on the intricacies of there systems, there's just no point when you turn over staff at the rate that most call centers do. That is however no excuse for O2 not making some information available to people who have ordered explaining the process a little more clearly than the ambiguous emails we have received. They clearly have our email addresses!!

9. digmo macrumors member

I just assumed that they took orders for as many phones as they had and that is why the closed when they ran out of stock ?

Given some orders will fail credit clearance I assume that is why the site says come back Thurs ?

You all have me worried now,

David

10. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

I think o2 literally do not know how many orders they have taken and give credit clearance to and how many iPhones will be rolling into their supply chain on Wed/Thursday.

The orders were coming in so fast and will the servers falling over they did not know what their commitments were, they panicked and pulled the plug and have taken today to re-group.

11. Samaritan macrumors member

Why did an episode of Dad's Army just run through my head when I read that..?

Mainwaring: Right chaps. Lets get that website live. Come along there Pike, get your finger out! Wilson! Stop playing with that HTC Diamond..

Wilson: Terribly sorry sir, yes.. come along Pike, get that website sorted.

Pike: Mister Mainwaring! Mister Mainwaring! ooooh Mister Mainwaring! The website has crashed!

Jones: Don't panic! Don't panic!

Frazer: We're Doomed! Doomed I tell you!

Mainwaring: Pike! Pike! Turn it off! Turn it off! Did you check we had the capacity to launch this thing?

Pike: Er, well, erm

Mainwaring: Come on boy, out with it!

Pike: No, Mister Mainwaring

Mainwaring: Stupid boy.

12. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

LOL! Should have got his Uncle Arthur to sort it out for him.

13. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

made me LOL :D if only

14. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

15. Samaritan macrumors member

:D

Private Godfrey (on phone): Oh yes, hello there, yes.. no.. I'm sorry I don't really know whether you will get one on Friday or not.. no.. no.. well, maybe

Mainwaring: Godfrey! Tell them they are out of stock

Private Godfrey (on phone): Yes.. yes.. well, they are out of stock.

Wilson: Oh my goodness....I'm off for a sherry.

16. digmo macrumors member

Well, Monday will have been damaging to O2 media wise but taking pre-orders from customers who them find they won't get them on release date while other people get them in store would be really bad.

"how come you don't have the new iPhone ?"
    "ah I pre-ordered mine"

it would be ridiculous, they would ply back from stores and meet the orders to save face!

David

17. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

It's good to have a laugh amoung all the cr*p o2 are causing

Cheers Samaritan - I'll txt your iPhone 3g from my iPhone 3g on Friday morning!!

18. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

Don't forget those who go to the store on Friday will now have to compete with existing iPhone owners who had their online upgrades b*llsed-up yesterday :(

19. Samaritan macrumors member

Cheers!

Its all relative, isn't it? Its only a phone after all (etc..) :)

Hope you get yours on friday - in fact, I hope everyone with an order gets theirs on friday. And I hope you guys queueing up get one, and don't get too wet either!

20. digmo macrumors member

John I am an upgrader, I thought my order hadn't gone through as there was no order reference number but I had an email today to say it had with order number and free next day delivery.

I just assumed with that tonight I am getting one on Friday.

David

21. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

When's yours due (or when do you HOPE yours is due)?

22. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

Good good good. It was not ALL upgraders - you just had to be VERY lucky. Hope you get it on Friday

23. digmo macrumors member

This is what I don't get. I sent my order via the failback form before the store crashed. I phoned and they said without a reference there is no order so I assumed I was going on Friday.

Then tonight at 8.30 I get an email to say thanks for the order then one to say my contract had been extended blah de blah...

A real surprise, I did have a failed attempt at 8.30am perhaps they went with that one, who knows but I will be gutted if they are now completing orders, locking me out of going on Fri but then telling me they are on back order.

What a mess

David

24. yogamonkey macrumors 6502

yogamonkey

Hmmmm.... I emailed customer services and just got this back. Friday not definite then!
    ----------

Hello Paul,

Thanks for emailing us to find out the status of your order for the iPhone 3G.

I can see that your order (on-02XXXXXX) for the 16Gb iPhone 3G was successfully placed. We're aware there was a temporary problem with our online shop due to extremely high levels of demand for the iPhone 3G.

I'm sorry at the moment I unable to confirm if your order will be delivered on 11 July 2008. We'll deliver as many orders as possible on the above date and then delivery may take up to two weeks. We'll send you a text message the day before the delivery to confirm that your order is on the way.

I hope you'll find this information useful. For further information on the iPhone 3G, please click on the link below:

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone