Just picked up 2011 imac despite impeding refresh

Discussion in 'iMac' started by farmermac, Apr 17, 2012.

1. farmermac macrumors 6502a

I sold my 2009 imac 27" a few months ago and have been using a mac mini for a few months with a 17" LCD. It's been killing me. I've been waiting for a deal to come up on something newer, but I don't want one of the newer ones because I want to keep the ability to run Snow Leopard.

Today I picked up a brand new top end 27" (3.1GHz Quad-Core i5) for $1650 shipped. Overnighted it from Amazon warehouse, should be here tomorrow.

I know i'll get some pangs of buyer's remorse when the new iMac comes out in a month, but...It won't run Snow Leopard. :eek:

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Snow Leopard is about to be 2 versions old.. what's the appeal of keeping it?

3. Bear macrumors G3

Well if you depend on any PowerPC apps, Rosetta for one. Also, not having to upgrade software to be Lion compatible can save a bunch of money. And finally some of the changes in Lion can be a step backwards depending on what you use your computer for.

4. srxtr macrumors 6502a

5. RedCroissant Suspended

I think you made a good choice

First of all, you don't know for sure what's going to be included in the refresh. Secondly, you got a great machine that you can also use as a display for something else. SO say you have a PS3/XBOX 360 or other gaming hardware, you can connect it to the iMac and have a beautiful HD display for your gaming needs. Congratulations.

On a side note, I recently bought a 2011 MBP and am very happy with it. It has been great for my school stuff and other projects and I'm gad that I didn't wait for the refresh. Have a great time with your new Mac.

6. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Sadly, not true. This works on the 2010's (dispayport), not the 2011's (thunderbolt).

7. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

Honestly if you have the amount of old software, don't upgrade your computer.
    If you plan on upgrading your hardware plan on upgrading your software.

8. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Keep mini for PPC apps, run lion on new hardware?

Enjoy anyway, the current machines are still great.

9. RedCroissant Suspended

That sucks!!

I could have sworn that Belkin made something that allowed the use of one of the TB ports. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought TB and MDP were compatible and that the new TB iMacs could also go into Target Disk Mode which should allow you to hook up the PS3.

If I am wrong, then you could always use Elgato hardware through USB, but I don't think that would perform as well.

10. lamboman macrumors 6502

You can output to an MDP display through Thunderbolt, but you cannot input MDP to Thunderbolt.

As for Target Disk Mode, that's literally as the name suggests - to boot off of another system through Thunderbolt or FireWire. It's got nothing to do with external displays.

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Belkin has announced a Thunderbolt dock that:
    * Adds reliable, gigabit Ethernet connectivity to your laptop
    * Includes three USB 2.0 ports, one Firewire 800 port, one HDMI port, one 3.5mm Audio port, one gigabit Ethernet port and two Thunderbolt ports (one upstream and one downstream) for daisy-chaining to another Thunderbolt compatible device.

It is not expected to ship until summer 2012 or later.

You're thinking of Target Display Mode and on 2011 iMacs this only works with other thunderbolt equipped Macs. You cannot connect a PS3 this way. This only works with 2010 iMacs. The HDMI port on the Belkin hub is for display output, not display input.

12. adam1080 macrumors member

adam1080

Thats good to know. Whenever I replace my imac as a computer, I dont want to lose a $1000 monitor. I will want to use it as a display for something.

13. RedCroissant Suspended

That's too bad. I guess just a smaller monitor would be the way to go for me in the future.

14. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

I would have sold you my Core i7 27" 6970M etc for a little more than that. Mine also has 3 years of Applecare. :rolleyes:

----------

Impossible to do. Thunderbolt doesn't allow you to use it as a secondary monitor unless the source is another Thunderbolt device.

15. farmermac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'd take you up on that if you were in person. I wouldnt be game to buy a machine online unless its from Apple or Amazon.

----------

Been waiting 3 months with a mini and tiny LCD and cant wait anymore...

16. DARK N00DLE macrumors newbie

I also picked up a 27" iMac yesterday from the Apple Store, I have been looking at the rumors for the next refresh for awhile and for what I want to use it for (financial modeling and photography) I didn't see the point in waiting for a new one, I'm looking forward more to Mountain Lion than I am a iMac refresh.

17. farmermac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ive tried Lion a few times and it wont take. I just dont like the ios crap like scrolling bars, auto save, preview has been butchered, expose, etc. I'll wait until Apple comes out with a normally functioning OS to update or stay behind

18. farmermac thread starter macrumors 6502a

well, i learned a lesson today. Only buy expensive electronics from a reputable source. Trying to save a buck in this case turned out to be a waste of time.

The imac was advertised as "like new" from Amazon Warehouse. The computer was shipped in its original box that looked like it'd been through a war zone. That's fine, so long as the product is fine. The mouse was all scratched up, all original packaging was gone and Amazon put some sort of sticky film on the glass surface. The imac was first registered in December 2011, had 12gb of ram and had a sticker on the back saying the computer contained refurbished parts (?). The fans were on full blast form the moment i turned it on. I tried everything (SMC reset, software updates, reboots) to get the fans to stop but they wouldnt.

Sticker below.

Attached Files:

19. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Someone probably swapped out the hard drive for one without Apple's special pins for reading temperature. The fans assume worst case if they can't get a reading.

If I were you I'd send it back. If you're going to buy refurb, buy it from MacMall or Apple directly.

20. ScouseGeek macrumors newbie

If it was sold as new and you got this you can demand a refund, or a replacement.

21. farmermac thread starter macrumors 6502a

its already back in its box sitting by the door. Its definitely going back. everything ive read about amazon warehouse says they are usually very accurate with their descriptions, so maybe this was a screwup on their end and they sent me the wrong machine.

Either way going back to apple refurb store. Maybe its a sign i should wait for the refresh to pick up a refurb :D

22. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Return it and wait for the refresh. Maybe this is a sign telling you to wait.

Even if the refresh turns out to be crap, you can get this model for cheaper later. Win-win situation (except for waiting).

23. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I'll never buy a refurb, sure you can get a good one but its a crapshoot.

I did recently buy a brand new 2011 i7 3.4 Ghz Quad Core 27" iMac and am loving it to death.

I don't care about the refresh, I had the money, the need, and dammit I wanted it NOW !!!!!

Something tells me this one will run just as fast after the refresh as it did the day I bought it.

24. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

Get the new one, and just run your mini headless next to your router and use it as a remote desktop for whatever legacy apps you can't run on the new iMac. You can ALSO run older Mac OS in Vmware maybe?