Just picked up 3.3ghz Late 5K iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dezza85, Oct 17, 2015.

1. dezza85 macrumors member

Well just picked up the new 5K iMac and loving it!

Got the stock model with the 2tb fusion drive which I know is a negative for some people but the machine is booting in a matter of seconds and the response time for loading everything is pretty instant!

If any potential buyers want to know anything I'm happy to find it out for them.

Oh, and the new magic accessories are great, the keyboard is a massive improvement in my opinion and the trackpad is incredible! Mouse.... Still hate it but its solid!

2. Macmamamac macrumors regular

Congrats on the purchase! If possible could you post up a screen of Blackmagic Read/write benchmarks? Interested how the 2TB stock model scores.

3. dezza85 thread starter macrumors member

There you go, mac has been on about 2 hours and I've downloaded a load of dropbox files so could still be indexing, I'll give it another go later.

Attached Files:

4. dezza85 thread starter macrumors member

What would you expect from it? Is that any good?

5. Macmamamac macrumors regular

Thanks for the post! Wow! Compared to my 2007 this is like a different universe. I have no idea if these are decent speeds or not for a new machine i just know its magnitudes better than what i have here. I did want to order a maxed out 5K but the last day or so i've come to my senses. i think these benchmarks have convinced me to just buy the base model like you have.

For whats its worth here are my paltry 2007 benchmark scores! haha

Attached Files:

6. Macmamamac macrumors regular

7. dezza85 thread starter macrumors member

It certainly has come along way! I have come from a 2010 macbook pro and the difference is incredible!

Not sure if there are any other tests I can do to help anyone, if there is Im happy to share as I know it can be a hard purchase to make for people.

8. Brewing macrumors newbie

9. dezza85 thread starter macrumors member

I got the standard speed "AMD Radeon R9 M395 with 2GB"

10. Brewing macrumors newbie

Thanks. Anxiously awaiting firsthand reports on the m395x before I pull the trigger and make the jump from PC to Mac.

11. dsc888 macrumors 6502

Wow! Those are great results. I'm assuming that's the SSD portion of the drive it's testing. I wonder if the platter drives are significantly slower. From my understanding, you can't decide how you data is written on the Fusion drive and it's all determined by the OS. I ordered mine with the 512 SSD and plan on adding a Thunderbolt2 Harddisk externally for RAW photos and videos. This almost makes me want to reconsider the Fusion drive. Hmmmmm....

12. dezza85 thread starter macrumors member

Well if there are any questions I can answer with what I have then just ask.

13. dezza85 thread starter macrumors member

I was tempted with the SSD but then I would have only got the 256 for the money I paid and that wasn't going to be enough. I already had talk myself into spending this much! So glad I did though.

As I said in a previous comment, I'll try the test again in a couple of days and say if its any better after the machine has bedded in!

14. henry72, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015

henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Wow the read speed is very impressive! How many GBs have you used? Cheers!

15. Golfer00ksu macrumors regular

16. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Finally someone other than me who bought a 2 TB fusion! I'm glad to here that your liking it :). Hopefully mine will ship soon. Like now.

EDIT: Holy ****! That black magic test made my day!! Now I can't wait for mine even more!!!

17. dezza85 thread starter macrumors member

Only 63GB used at the moment

18. dezza85 thread starter macrumors member

Not that I can tell. Is there a good condition to try it under? I've looked on a full black screen and it look spot on to me!

19. Dominican macrumors 6502

i got the same one as well just need upgrade memory next.

20. Juliovalverde macrumors newbie

Has anyone play gta 5 ultra settings on this new iMac? How is the temps and fps? It would be a great test to see the performance

21. Jamesk811 macrumors 6502

Do you play games? If so, have you tried a few out and what's the general performance like? Thanks

22. dezza85 thread starter macrumors member

Hi, Sorry I don't play games on the machine, it's purely for work and bits and pieces at home.

23. dezza85 thread starter macrumors member

As promised though here is a screen shot after a few days of use so that the indexing would have finished and everything has settled.

Very happy with the speed and performance of the machine!

Attached Files:

24. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

am looking too jump my window PC and get in too the Imac has well so the best i be able too save up is 1,514.92 wish would be the norml 21.5 Imac but i be upgrading too a 1 TB fusion drive

so if am going too save that kind of $ wish i am i want some in that will last me a long long long time and for me this is going too be a one time deal for me

this is the imac i be getting

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac?product=MK442LL/A&step=config#

but with the upgrade Funsion drive

25. galarneau macrumors newbie