Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Well I groveled to Avid after not taking them up on their offer of Avid Media Composer (normally $2500+) for under a grand. One of the support execs took pity on me and sent me a promo code to pick it up post-expiration date. Just an FYI for those of you who missed out...could be worth writing Avid's customer support. Greg was pretty awesome about it.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Well I groveled to Avid after not taking them up on their offer of Avid Media Composer (normally $2500+) for under a grand. One of the support execs took pity on me and sent me a promo code to pick it up post-expiration date. Just an FYI for those of you who missed out...could be worth writing Avid's customer support. Greg was pretty awesome about it.
VideoGuys.com are still selling Avid MC5 for $995 to FCP owners.

Lethal

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
Well, good luck with that. I had a love/hate relationship with Media Composer and I finally dumped her. I got spoiled by the simplicity of Final Cut and found the learning curve differences to be too frustrating. Things that I could do in a second would take a minute or so of futzing around in MC. That being said, the ability to do practically everything from the keyboard was very cool and fast and I could see how many pros would love the speed of it. Now that Final Cut has been sent off to finishing school, I might try Media Composer again. I really want to like this program, but I have to forget most of everything I learned in Final Cut so that I don't get as frustrated. I thought about Premiere because it's quite like FCP... but in my limited experience, I discovered too many bugs. I cut a short film (10 minutes) on Premiere and found it to be simple to use. However, it jacked up all my audio and I wound up recutting in Final Cut instead of trying to figure out wtf happened.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
I'm not sure that Apple really cares, but they should find a way to track the numbers of users that are abandoning ship for other editing applications. They might be in for a shock! Of course, those numbers might be offset by the amount of new users who are inspired to get into video for the first time via FCX.

Another number that might be interesting is the amount of new users who don't stay with video after the first foray into the editing experience. I'm sure those numbers are going to drop off in the next 3-6 months as people realize that the idea of editing video is not the same thing as actually doing it. I think that Apple is trying to capitalize on all the new DSLR/iPhone type filmmaker wannabes and they see that as a new industry to tap into.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I really want to like this program, but I have to forget most of everything I learned in Final Cut so that I don't get as frustrated.
That's the biggest hurdle I see for people trying to go learn one app when they started out on the other. You really need to approach the new app like you've never edited before and learn how that app works as opposed to trying to force the new app to act like the old app.

I learned Avid first, then Premiere (not Premiere Pro, the old Premiere), and finally FCP. Now that Lightworks is free I want to learn it as well for the heck of it.

Lethal

Nov 28, 2010
located
That's the biggest hurdle I see for people trying to go learn one app when they started out on the other. You really need to approach the new app like you've never edited before and learn how that app works as opposed to trying to force the new app to act like the old app.

I learned Avid first, then Premiere (not Premiere Pro, the old Premiere), and finally FCP. Now that Lightworks is free I want to learn it as well for the heck of it.

Lethal

+1
I first edited with Ulead Media Studio and quickly got Adobe Premiere (4 or 5). At school they had Avid and I quickly began to learn it. After that I had to use Premiere for three months (Premiere Pro something) and I loathed it, as I was not open enough).
I then edited some pieces with FCP, but the trimming somehow put me off, as it took me a while to understand on Avid and was somehow ingrained in my brain.
Currently I am working with Avid and like how much I can do with the keyboard (which is till not enough in my eyes).

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Either way, it's an industry standard NLE that isn't going anywhere that I need to get acquainted with anyway. I'm glad Avid is extending the deal again and hope that I can be as well versed in Avid MC as I was in FCP given that there's a future for MC as far as I can tell.

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
I picked up an Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro. Quite useful for anyone switching.

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Adobe Premiere is an awesome software. I remember editing back in 1999 on my beige G3, back then it was doing things FCP7 still can't like having different kind of video formats in the same timeline and background rendering... I am talking 12 years ago.

The reason I went to FCP was because Premiere was not on the Mac anymore, have to say that once I figured out FCP it was so fast and it was very reliable on my Pismo.

Today I am considering putting my hands on Premiere again, I do not see a clear future for FCP X. What ever Apple wants to do with it, Avid and Adobe will be evolving too and so far they respect their costumers. Apple is more into the iPad and iPhones.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Adobe Premiere is an awesome software. I remember editing back in 1999 on my beige G3, back then it was doing things FCP7 still can't like having different kind of video formats in the same timeline and background rendering... I am talking 12 years ago.

The reason I went to FCP was because Premiere was not on the Mac anymore, have to say that once I figured out FCP it was so fast and it was very reliable on my Pismo.

Today I am considering putting my hands on Premiere again, I do not see a clear future for FCP X. What ever Apple wants to do with it, Avid and Adobe will be evolving too and so far they respect their costumers. Apple is more into the iPad and iPhones.

This is exactly why I switched to Avid/Adobe. I can't see them abandoning their user base like Apple has for consumer/iOS customers. I need a roadmap and a reliable product. Can't get that with Apple as far as Final Cut is concerned thought they convinced me I could for the last 10 years.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
I'm not sure that Apple really cares, but they should find a way to track the numbers of users that are abandoning ship for other editing applications. They might be in for a shock! Of course, those numbers might be offset by the amount of new users who are inspired to get into video for the first time via FCX.

Yes, consumers using the FCP X is going to vastly out number the pro users.

Apple is more into the iPad and iPhones.

Because thats the direction consumers are going, mobile devices. I can look at the statistics for my youtube videos and the majority of my viewers are watching using mobile devices. It would be natural to assume any company, even Apple, will go where the money is.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

The thing is, $299 + whatever fixes are needed isn't chump change, either, so I'm not sure Apple is going to pick up too many impulse buys, either. FCE was sold for a lot less.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
The thing is, $299 + whatever fixes are needed isn't chump change, either, so I'm not sure Apple is going to pick up too many impulse buys, either. FCE was sold for a lot less.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It's twenty
times the price of iMovie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.