Just picked up my MacBook from repair, they dented it!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sixkiller, Dec 29, 2014.

1. sixkiller, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014

sixkiller macrumors member

sixkiller

Hey, I just picked up my MacBook pro, there was a sleep/wake problem with it, been there since I bought it 1 year ago. I got tired of it so I decided to hand it in since I still have warranty on it. Now that I just got home I see that the repair guys have actually dented the corner of it it. It's on the screen corner as well as the actual body corner, it's not huge so I didn't see it at the store. But it's definitely very visible! I don't know what to do now, cause I didn't notice at the store they can just say I dropped it myself! This is so annoying, I've been without it a month and I can't prove that I didn't drop it myself. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do? I was gonna go back tomorrow, but what if they say I just dropped it myself?

Btw, they replaced the entire motherboard to fix the sleep/wake problem.

Any help is very appreciated!

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Was there any damage noted by the Genius upon receipt of your Mac? If not, do you have any recent before pictures to show there were no dents? I would also take multiple pictures of the recent damage.

I would call Apple and be very polite. Let the person know that you are appreciative that the motherboard was replaced to fix an ongoing problem. However, damage was done to your computer that you did not see until you left the store. Make sure to call as soon as they are receiving customers. That is your best bet. You may get turned away but, at least give it at try.

3. sixkiller thread starter macrumors member

sixkiller

I didn't buy it at an Apple Store, just a regular electronics store. There wasn't any dents or damages when I handed it in, so they can't have written anything like that. I'll call them early tomorrow when they open their store and do as you suggested. I think I have some pics of it before I handed it in, and I'll take pics of the damages now too. Thanks.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

In the future, if there is an Apple store within driving distance, take your under warranty Mac there, even though you bought it elsewhere. Apple is the one that provides and services the original manufacturer warranty.

Good luck on this. Whatever you do, don't lose your cool. Be polite but firm. Let them know you aren't asking for anything other than to be made whole. Make sure to write down the name(s) of people you speak with.

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Unfortunately, if you can't prove the dent was there when you were in the location picking it up, you have little ground to stand on. It's your word against theirs, and they will likely ask if you inspected it before leaving the store.

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

This. That is why I stay at the Apple Store after pick it up so I can examine my rMBP before take home. When I found small dent and they check with note they are happy to take back for replace dented keyboard and new battery. :apple:

Also I took pictures of my rMBP at the store they took in. Just to be safe.

7. kaielement macrumors 65816

This is why I only have apple fix my devices when it's a warrenty issue. No problem and I have been using apple products my hole life.