Just picked up my Macbook Pro, BUT...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JajoPGH, Sep 3, 2009.

1. JajoPGH macrumors regular

Hey guys

So I decided to get a Macbook Pro and hook it up with an external display down the line.

Anyways, whenever I turn the computer back on from sleep, the worst sound comes from my CD drive. It doesnt sound like a regular CD spooling up, but almost as something is grinding inside

Anyone can help? I'm slightly worried

2. bartelby macrumors Core

If it's a whirring clunky noise, that's normal. Don't worry about it.

3. Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

I don't know what exact noise yours is making but I've had three MBPs in my life and IIRC, they all make an odd noise from the DVD drive when waking or booting.

See this: Apple Support Article

4. JajoPGH thread starter macrumors regular

:eek:

I am surprised that's a normal sound for Macs. I mean, it does not sound healthy at all.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

It's difficult for us to hear how your drive sounds in this thread. Maybe the noise yours is making is normal, maybe it isn't.

The drive does make a sound when you wake it from sleep, but if it sounds unhealthy, then I'd suggest bringing your MBP to an Apple Store and letting an Apple employee/"Genius" take a listen.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Basically what it does is it quickly activates the optical drive to see whether or not there's a disc inserted upon boot or when it wakes from sleep (so, for example, you can boot off of the disc).

If you think that's bad, wait until you hear the sound it makes when you eject a disc :cool:

7. JajoPGH thread starter macrumors regular

8. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

hahaha :D that sounds like it's singing but seriously that's not regular it's definitely a defect and should be replaced for free.

9. JajoPGH thread starter macrumors regular

While I'm here, does anyone have any recommendations for a music player other than iTunes? I really, really, really, very much, really enjoy winAmp. Anything like that for Macs?

10. JajoPGH thread starter macrumors regular

Hahah tell me about it. There's a little rhythm there.
    :eek:

11. JajoPGH thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone else have comments regarding this? Check out the soundclip to let me know if it's normal or not.

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

you neglected to mention which generation of MBP. is it the latest aluminum? the previous aluminum 13" that I had made the same sound, but my newer 13" MBP does not. others have mentioned the newer ones do not make the noise. also, the noise I heard on my previous 13" sounded exactly the same, but it did not repeat 3x like yours...I heard it once per wake.

13. Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

My 2 older style MBPs both made a noise similar to that but not that long or 'stuttered'. Just a zoop-zoop sound. If it were *me* I would take it in just to get it checked out. It sounds a bit odd to me.

Slightly OT, but you made me wonder, however, and I checked my current MBP (July 2009 uMBP 15") and it doesn't make any noise at all when waking or booting, FWIW.

14. JajoPGH thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the comments

Just to let you know, I took it to Apple and they agreed it didn't sound normal. But they made me take it back to where I bought it (BestBuy).

Best Buy exchanged without hassle, so here I am, two Macbooks in two days. It's nice to be aboard.

15. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

I always thought inserting a disc sounded worse. Let me demonstrate: Screeech-whirrrr-gobble-whine-rev

16. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Bamboo-Plywood-Panel-Board.jpg

17. moderniste macrumors member

My 13" aluminum MBP makes the exact same sound. It's very startling, but I've had my computer for a couple of months now with no problems.

18. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

That WAS normal the new MBP dont do that at all and i dont miss it one bit