Just picked up my new 2017 TouchBar MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FlyingTexan, Oct 11, 2017.

1. FlyingTexan macrumors regular

I found a good deal on a 2017 15" MBP with TouchBar and Radeon Pro 560. Got it for $2350 to my door with 512GB SSD as well. I honestly just wanted a nice machine I can keep that does most of what I want. I don't really game much but I do here and there. I just like fun ones like Kerbal Space Program or something with a good story mode that's a little older.

Anyway is there a way I can boost performance of the Radeon Pro 560? I haven't installed windows 10 in bootcamp yet but I do have a licensed copy that I can use. I'd like to try and stay in OS X but if I need to I can jump in windows 10 and mess around. Are there optimized drivers or things like that?

Thanks!

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Not really... Use the computer for a bit before you decide it's not powerful enough. In MacOS you kind of have to expect a small performance hit, but assuming you're not demanding the latest greatest photorealistic VR stuff (And if you were, why would you buy a Mac?) then it's usually more than capable.

3. leman macrumors G3

Install the drivers from the bootcampdrivers website. Apple/AMD only provides you with outdated windows drivers. And yes, if you want to game, there is no reason not to use windows. I have a windows installation on an external tb3 ssd with all my games collection. Works like a charm and doesn’t waste any internal space.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Install windows 10 and optimised drivers will give you a bit of a frame rate boost in many games (not all) but if all the games you like are on Mac OS then give it a go before you bother, it’s no gaming rig but should provide a decent gaming experience for most things.