Just picked up my new Mini today!

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by bchreng, Mar 30, 2009.

1. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

I came back from the apple store not too long ago and am now an excited owner of a new Mac Mini! Two things that sort of bug me about the system right now are the toxic 'new computer' smell - which will hopefully air out soon - and how loud the thing is. My workroom is pretty quiet and the high-pitched hum coming from the Mini is a little annoying. Is anyone else bothered by the fan?

edit: The sound's not coming from my Mac, but my monitor. It didn't make this sound when it was connected to my PC. This is a little worrisome.

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

3. azdunerat macrumors regular

Not sure what brand your monitor is but my Acer does the same damn thing. It is somewhat intermitant and goes away after a while.

Congrats on the purchase, they are sturdy little machines for sure. I love mine with a passion. it really has made the transition from PC to mac very painless.

4. bchreng thread starter macrumors 6502a

bchreng

hah, funny you should mention that. Mine's an Acer too!

5. Hysterio macrumors newbie

"Acer"s are not the best of all monitors. When I used to have a Mac Mini, I used a Sony LCD screen and it worked out fine. I'm not exactly saying go out and buy a brand new screen, but if you have some spares lying around or one you can borrow from a friends, plug it in and try it out. That's all I can think of though, as I've never had that problem before.

6. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Sorry to hear the Acer being noticeably louder. I just matched a 23" Acer with my new Mini, and both are dead silent (when running, of course). I've read that if you adjust the Acer to anything other than its native resolution, it'll make a slight hum. But I'm pretty happy with my 1920x1080 Acer (x233hbid), with very good resolution and overall display quality.

7. bigbird macrumors 6502

Pictures of the guy's Mini? Why? Have you never seen one before, or you don't believe him? Bizarre request.

8. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

he probably meant the whole setup in general.

9. shinchan72 macrumors member

Toxic smell ?

That's one of my favorite smells around. A new Mac just out of the box and that mix of the just opened styrofoam from the new box also.
    :)

10. azdunerat macrumors regular

Acer may not be the best quality but who else makes a 22" widescreen for 140.00? I can deal with the hum its just a slight bother!

11. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Trying playing with the brightness controls on the monitor, either up or down a few notches. Sometimes the inverter is very sensitive and makes high pitched noise.

As for the mini, mines also had a strange "new" smell - kind of like hot glue. It went away after a day or two of 24/7 usage.

12. bchreng thread starter macrumors 6502a

bchreng

Amen to that!

13. bchreng thread starter macrumors 6502a

bchreng

That's exactly what it smells like!

14. Dezlboy macrumors regular

I read on some forums (can't remember where) that the smell does go away a week.

15. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

The smell went away after a few hours for me.

Cheers,

16. bchreng thread starter macrumors 6502a

bchreng

I just finished upgrading the memory. Holy crap it was difficult! You need a really small screw driver and a lot of guts to open the darn thing. I had to apply so much force with the putty knife, I thought I was going to break it!

17. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

You're a braver man that I, lol. Let us know how you find the machine when you've had some time to play with it!

18. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

because everyone's setup is different.

19. txnoob macrumors 6502

Some of them are pretty tight, but the popping and "breaking" sound is just the retention clips. Of course you needed a small screw driver. Small electrics require those things. :D