Just picked up rMBP 15 Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fatlardo, Mar 24, 2013.

1. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

For 1700!!!!! Its the top of the line one! Got it on craigslist with receipt! Can't wait to play with it! :D

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

4. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

So is the 2.7 / 16 / 768 ?? If so, great purchase!! LG or Samsung display?

5. fatlardo thread starter macrumors 6502

fatlardo

2.7/16/512gb, sorry so one step less. How do I check for LG or Samsung display? Still at a steal right? This is the ME version. :)

6. Jinzen macrumors 6502

Originally bought with stolen credit cards/forged credit cards.

A steal in many ways.

7. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Still a steal. You type in a command to Terminal. Search google for "rMBP lg or samsung?" You'll find it.

8. fskywalker, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013

fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Go to terminal mode and run this script:

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

In the result, LP means LG display; LSN means you got a Samsung display

9. lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

Damn

I thought I got a good deal, I picked up a base 15"er for $1799 AUD a week or go at a retailer called Dick Smith.

When I saw it I thought I was seeing things;) so I called the store and they said it was fair dinkum, the rest is history and so far it is a killer machine and now my 13" MBP is relegated to my son.

10. fatlardo thread starter macrumors 6502

fatlardo

Guess my luck stopped there I got an LG display. Now what or how can I check if I get the famous burn in?

11. mykem macrumors regular

The a big difference between image burn in and retention. With burn in, it's permanent but retention usually lasts a few minutes.

The easiest way is to leave for example, this page (Macrumors Forum) for a few minutes (5-10 minutes) and then using Google Image Search look for a grey wallpaper or background, like this one:

http://www.waynewilliamsstudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Grey-Backdrop-for-Portraits1.jpg

Open it and if you see a faint image of the Macrumors forum on the grey backdrop, it means you have IR. I personally believe, all IPS display has IR but to different degree- some holds the image longer than others. Mine for example, I timed it at less than 2 minutes before it disappears completely. And yes, my screen is an LG.

12. lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

Sometimes it's best to not look for problems, I know I won't be checking which screen I have or image retention etc. as it can maybe make you see things that aren't there ;)

Mine looks just about perfect so unless I see something untoward I won't go looking for defects that's just me though:)

13. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Doesn't matter. It's less than a year old, so if you're at all concerned...it's always smart to pick up Applecare. Buy from eBay or better yet...I've been buyin mine lately from B&H. It's $244 from them. That's over a hundred bucks in savings. You'll be protected from any issues including IR. right now, you're protected as its less than a year old and Apple's warranty is transferable. Just enjoy your computer for now. If you have IR it'll show itself in due time. Don't waste your time with silly tests. Just have fun. That's an incredible deal. Congrats

14. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Dont go there, is my advise if the display looks good, it is good. Many of these tests are deliberately designed to trip up the hardware, and completely non reflective of normal use.

MacRumors can be a source of great information, equally you really need to "separate the wheat form the chaff" The majority of Retina owners have no issue, including my own Mid 2012 Retina. Things with forums in general is people mostly come to solve issue, in some case complain, and a minority just to whine about hardware they have little or no experience with, barring ten minutes hands on at "BestBuy" which is clearly the case with some posts. This is the very nature of forums, on the polls here 80% - 90% are satisfied with Retina MBP, it`s the same every time Apple release a major revision; You can perform the same Google search for any given year the MBP has been in production and come up with a myriad of negative results;

2012 Macbook Pro issues

2011 MacBook Pro issues

2010 MacBook Pro issues

2009 MacBook Pro issues

2008 MacBook Pro Issues

2007 MacBook Pro issues

2006 MacBook Pro issues

So employing this logic, "one should never buy a Mac" on forums such as MacRumors, those with issue, those that believe they have been aggrieved and the "Haters" will always generate the most traffic for nothing more than their own personal motives. My own 2.3 Retina runs significantly cooler than my Late 2011 2.4 i7 15" MBP sat right next to it on the same desk, no loss in frame rate, no throttling at all, is quieter, to all intents and purposes the better machine by a fair margin.

Retina is just the next evolution of the MBP line, enjoy your Mac and forget about the rumour mongers :p