Just picked up second-hand MB (Mid 2010), questions about cleaning HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rrrea, Jan 13, 2013.

1. rrrea macrumors newbie

Hey all,

First time poster here. As the title mentions, I've just picked up my 2.4GHz Mid-2010 MacBook second hand. I'm a heavy PC user and this thing is not by any means the harbinger of my eventual transition to Apple products, I just got a sweet deal on it and the eventual goal is to bootcamp Windows onto it anyway.

Now, the previous owner was not by any means a "power user" or "enthusiast" or whatever you want to call it, and as such the MB was pretty much untouched to the point where it still had a password on the main user account.

So again as the title implies I'm looking to clean this thing up a bit. I'm already in the process of deleting the old user account (complete with home folder etc) and I'm going to use disk utility to erase free space. Should I still be opting for a complete reformat, though? If so, the only trouble is that I lack the original installation disk, which I think had Snow Leopard on it anyway.

Also, if I do manage to get my hands on the original installation disk, will I have any trouble getting the OS back up to Lion? If OS upgrades are tied to Apple IDs the same way iTunes Store content is, I obviously wouldn't be able to redownload Lion under the previous owner's credentials...

I'd appreciate any and all advice.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Snow Leopard will only cost $19.99 in the Apple store, so if you can't get the originals it's not too much to buy.
    Snow Leopard 10.6.3 was the initial OS installed on it.

Erasing free space, for what, no need to, also if you think about defragging or virus scan, both are not needed on OS X.

It is standard on OS X for a User to have a password, if you buy a new one or Install a clean OS the Mac needs a password, unlike windows.

If you set up a new user set one up with Admin privileges.

3. GGJstudios, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard. You can also order replacement discs for your model by calling Apple (800-767-2775 in the US).
    If you elect to reformat and reinstall SL, you might be able to ask Apple for a download of Lion, but more likely you could buy and install ML under your own Apple ID. That would eliminate any connection to the former owner.

This may be useful:

4. chrfr macrumors 603

The retail copy of Snow Leopard may not work with the 2010 Macbook. The version of 10.6.3 that came with the Macbook was computer specific. If you feel you need the DVD, you should get it from Apple support.
    The 2010 Macbook can use Internet recovery for Lion and later, so you can reinstall the OS after purchase, even with a blank hard disk in the computer. I personally would just buy Mountain Lion, and put that on there, and not worry about the original disks.

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

AFAIK you need SL before upgrading, but the best way is to call Apple as GGJstudios mentioned.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

Yeah, the computer is currently running, so it already has SL on it.