Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Thanks for clarifying...
I’m loving mine too...
I find the color more vibrant in the 2018 ipad than my ipad air2 ...
This is surprising coz air2 have laminated display...

Air 2 on the left... 2018 ipad on the right
33a914dbdc199139d1a53cacbe823bd8.jpg

I always say that the Pro models are overkill for the vast majority of consumers. In terms of value, the 6th Gen iPad is the best tablet on the market for most people.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Did anyone purchase the Apple Pencil with the iPad 6?

I did initially and messed with it for about 24 hours and ended up taking it back. It was helpful during the editing projects on LumaFusion but that was really the only thing I was using it for and didn’t feel it was worth the $100 price tag.

Am I wrong?

Pencil is awesome if you do Pencil things - drawing, note taking or annotation. But if you don’t - then, no, you don’t need it.
[doublepost=1549182493][/doublepost]
The new iPad Pro is garbage.

While the Pro is an overkill for a lot of people - it is literally the best iPad ever made. And one of the best Apple products ever made - incredibly fast while running cooler than previous iPads, Face ID works awesome, the new Pencil is great, it is easier to hold and, also, looks beautiful.

You can fully enjoy the regular iPad (also a great product) without hyperbolic negative statements.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
While not the 2018, I have the 2017 5th gen iPad and it has been one of the best, most cost effective Apple purchase I’ve made. I use it every day for the Internet, reading, some streaming, casual gaming, and light email/office work. I also use it when I travel and don’t need a computer with me. The LTE connection has come in super handy for me on many trips.

It has also been rock solid so far. No pencil support, but that’s been okay for me as I likely wouldn’t use it anyway. I think this base, budget iPad is one of Apple’s best, most reliable offerings.

I’m looking forward to seeing what they do with it in March as I might upgrade. I usually keep my tablets much longer but if Apple continues to offer the base model at a reasonable price I think I might make the upgrade after two years with the 5th gen.

I traded mine to LTE model also so i can bring it for travel...

Every 2yrs upgrade for this price range is very reasonable...
But i prefer to use it until no longer supported.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Just exchanged another Surface device for a second iPad 6th gen 128gb. Now I can finally, truly give mom one and use this as a possible commuter device depending on the 7th gen iPad and iPad Mini 5.

Probably should have picked another color besides gold as that was the color of the 6th gen I’ve had since last year.:p

Sigp232

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
Just returned the pro 11 inch back to Apple went to Best Buy picked up 2 2018 6th generation grey 128 which Best Buy price matched Walmart’s price for 329 each. Worth the money for both very happy.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
I purchased a 10.5" iPad Pro (refurb) to replace a Surface 3 approximately a year ago and love it!!! Is it overkill for what I use it for... most definitely, but I wanted the 4GB of RAM for longevity. Compared to the Surface 3, it is night and day. The battery lasts for days (sometimes weeks, depending on usage) where the Surface 3 would die within a day or two (not depending on use, but guaranteed). Apps on the iPad are quick, fluid, and can remain open without issue. I do believe Apple made iOS to be the perfect tablet OS and it shows on my iPad Pro. This purchase is one reason (of many) that started my migration away from PCs and Windows. Now I am 100% Apple hardware in my household. /tangent

Over the last couple of years I have become Apple person at my work (I'm in IT for a school district) and I have used both the iPad 2017 as well as the iPad 2018. For the price/performance/most people's needs they are wonderful devices! I highly recommend them to anyone looking to get a tablet (first time buyer or long time user). Long story slightly shorter, you cannot go wrong with either product (iPad 2018 vs. iPad Pro), ultimately it depends on your needs as well as your budget.

Last edited:

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
And so far, I’m actually loving this thing. I get it’s the “budget” model of this product line but for my daily use (media consumption, social media, and general research and reading) its more than enough.

I also use it for video editing via LumaFusion and its fantastic. Now, I would have purchased the Pro had I felt I needed it but again, for what I do, this iPad was more than enough for me.

Anyone else having a solid experience with this specific iPad?

Absolutely. I’m so happy I went for this model versus spending more on a pro or whatever else. The extra RAM and new processor make it fly with games and website surfing. She’s a keeper. So reasonably priced too. Loving it!

Reactions: sracer

Cladster

Suspended
Feb 7, 2019
I had one, got the 32gb 4g for half new price off gumtree, brand new sealed too. Didn't like it so flipped it and got the 11" 65gb 4G pro on a plan.
Best iPad i have ever had and i have had everyone in all sizes.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
I had one, got the 32gb 4g for half new price off gumtree, brand new sealed too. Didn't like it so flipped it and got the 11" 65gb 4G pro on a plan.
Best iPad i have ever had and i have had everyone in all sizes.

I think its screen that makes the pro line stands out here...
If they will put laminated screen on the 2019 non pro ipad at same price with 2018 ipad now.... it will be better at same body size and no faceid something like air 2 with upgraded internals.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
All I want is more RAM, otherwise these 2018 iPads are fine for me; especially since I realized I cannot use laptops & trackpads. Glad I was able to exchange the Surface for this (that was a great laptop, just unusable for me).

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
I bought the 5th Gen for 219 from the Armed Service site over a year ago. Loved it so much (despite the non-laminated screen) that I bought two more and gave them as Christmas gifts that year. It's still holding up nicely. The reason I went with that one over the Pro at the time is that every single Pro I saw in stores had bright spots on the screen. That scared me off of those and now I see numerous threads about people with bright spots forming on their 10.5 Pros. Dodged a bullet there. Also the battery life on these non-Pro models blows away the battery life on the Pros.

uknation87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2016
Apparently, the new budget IPad will have a little bigger screen size without much else in terms of upgrades.

Regardless, if that is the case, I'll probably buy the new one as well and pass this one down to the kid's.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Apparently, the new budget IPad will have a little bigger screen size without much else in terms of upgrades.

Regardless, if that is the case, I'll probably buy the new one as well and pass this one down to the kid's.
I’m sure it will still get atleast a spec bump to the a11 and atleast one more gig of ram to go with it if nothing else internally.

Reactions: uknation87

Think creative

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2013
Between the rumors of new laptops and the new cheaper iPad soon, I think I’ll be buy the new iPad for my portable computer And sit out the laptops for awhile.

Reactions: uknation87

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
I purchased a 10.5" iPad Pro (refurb) to replace a Surface 3 approximately a year ago and love it!!! Is it overkill for what I use it for... most definitely, but I wanted the 4GB of RAM for longevity. Compared to the Surface 3, it is night and day. The battery lasts for days (sometimes weeks, depending on usage) where the Surface 3 would die within a day or two (not depending on use, but guaranteed). Apps on the iPad are quick, fluid, and can remain open without issue. I do believe Apple made iOS to be the perfect tablet OS and it shows on my iPad Pro. This purchase is one reason (of many) that started my migration away from PCs and Windows. Now I am 100% Apple hardware in my household. /tangent

Over the last couple of years I have become Apple person at my work (I'm in IT for a school district) and I have used both the iPad 2017 as well as the iPad 2018. For the price/performance/most people's needs they are wonderful devices! I highly recommend them to anyone looking to get a tablet (first time buyer or long time user). Long story slightly shorter, you cannot go wrong with either product (iPad 2018 vs. iPad Pro), ultimately it depends on your needs as well as your budget.

I have both iPad 6th generation, iPad Pro 9.7 and the 10.5 one. However, I still do not think iPad or iPad Pro can be compared with Surface. Surface itself should not be treated as tablet, it is more like a laptop can be used as tablet if necessary. This is also why Surface is more versatile devices than iPad.

Apple’s iPad is good as tablet that is it. It offers way less functionality than Surface or any Windows based PCs. I bet you have a Mac hardware in your household.

And by the way, I don’t have any issue with my Windows based machine at all. My ThinkPad worked still worked fine after all these years (T430s with third generation i5 processor). I don’t see how iPad is much better than Windows.
[doublepost=1550543865][/doublepost]
Pencil is awesome if you do Pencil things - drawing, note taking or annotation. But if you don’t - then, no, you don’t need it.
[doublepost=1549182493][/doublepost]

While the Pro is an overkill for a lot of people - it is literally the best iPad ever made. And one of the best Apple products ever made - incredibly fast while running cooler than previous iPads, Face ID works awesome, the new Pencil is great, it is easier to hold and, also, looks beautiful.

You can fully enjoy the regular iPad (also a great product) without hyperbolic negative statements.

Except this new iPad Pro comes bent.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
I have both iPad 6th generation, iPad Pro 9.7 and the 10.5 one. However, I still do not think iPad or iPad Pro can be compared with Surface. Surface itself should not be treated as tablet, it is more like a laptop can be used as tablet if necessary. This is also why Surface is more versatile devices than iPad.

Apple’s iPad is good as tablet that is it. It offers way less functionality than Surface or any Windows based PCs. I bet you have a Mac hardware in your household.

And by the way, I don’t have any issue with my Windows based machine at all. My ThinkPad worked still worked fine after all these years (T430s with third generation i5 processor). I don’t see how iPad is much better than Windows.

That was my problem, I needed a tablet (not a full blown desktop OS on a pseudo laptop trying to impersonate a tablet). I use my iPad for media consumption, research, and some lite gaming (freecell, mahjong, etc.). The Surface did not fit that mold. For my usage the iPad/iOS are superior to the Surface/Windows.

Yes, you are correct. For real work/play I use a mac mini with an eGPU.

I apologize if you think I was bashing PCs or Windows, all I was saying is they are not for me anymore. Again, for my household's needs macOS and iOS are more than capable.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Yes. It does. Even Apple acknowledges it. Stop sugar coating Apple.

Apple acknowledges a small amount of units may come with small bends and that the tolerance is actually lower than previous iPad Pros.

A few people had issues with severe bends, but that’s not what Apple acknowledged. Every product has duds.

But no, in practical terms, it doesn’t come bent. Mine isn’t. The ones I saw in the store aren’t. Those bought by my friends aren’t. It’s fine. Unless, hey, you want to believe it comes bent for some reason.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Apple acknowledges a small amount of units may come with small bends and that the tolerance is actually lower than previous iPad Pros.

A few people had issues with severe bends, but that’s not what Apple acknowledged. Every product has duds.

But no, in practical terms, it doesn’t come bent. Mine isn’t. The ones I saw in the store aren’t. Those bought by my friends aren’t. It’s fine. Unless, hey, you want to believe it comes bent for some reason.

LOL... always small amount... every single time. From bendgate to iPhone 6S battery issue, from iPhone 6 ghost touch issue to iPhone 7 microphone issue, from iPad bent gate to MacBook Keyboard issue. Always “small amount”. Keep fooling yourself Apple fans. This is the company never makes any mistake. How can a trillion dollar company make any mistake?

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
LOL... always small amount... every single time. From bendgate to iPhone 6S battery issue, from iPhone 6 ghost touch issue to iPhone 7 microphone issue, from iPad bent gate to MacBook Keyboard issue. Always “small amount”. Keep fooling yourself Apple fans. This is the company never makes any mistake. How can a trillion dollar company make any mistake?

Sure they can. But you’re acting like most of the iPads come bent, that’s just mot true. Most of iPhone 6 didn’t have touch issues either. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t an issue for some people - that’s why the warranty and exchange programs exist.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.