Just placed my order...finally back to a Mac Pro!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Chad H, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Hey guys,
    My financial restraint has let up so I finally placed an order my new quad core 2.66Ghz Mac Pro. :) I got the stock configuration and orderd 6GB of RAM from OWC and an additional 500GB HD for media. I'll probably be adding another HDD for time machine very shortly. I also ordered the Nvidia GTX285 for gaming. My only question is will the GTX285 simply be plug and play or are their specific drivers that need to be installed? Also any problems or hidden quirks I should know about the card or installation? Thanks guys! :D:apple:

2. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

3. vermintrex macrumors newbie

Genuine congratulations, as I have also ordered a Mac Pro !

I went for the 2.93 Ghz/ 8 GB RAM with the GTX285 as well..so, good choice :D !! I also have another 1 TB WD Caviar Black sitting on my desk awaiting it's new home and a HP LP2475w monitor on order. A Lacie D2 Quadra is going to do Time Machine duties.

Hopefully I'll have everything by Jul/20, as that's the latest delivery date from Apple.ca.

Can't wait to install Maya and put this thing through it's paces. Might even Bootcamp Win7 so I could mess around with a Softimage demo.

Anyway, enjoy !

guess I'll have to update the sig, heh

4. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Congrats to you also! Thanks, I can't wait! I just hope their will be no hidden quirks with the installation of the card or stupid driver problems. :apple:

5. vermintrex macrumors newbie

From what I understand there should be a driver shipped with the card that must be installed prior to installing the card itself.

I can't remember the thread now, but I believe someone here mentioned that a newer driver for the card is available, but I'm not sure if it's on the EVGA or Nvidia website.

6. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Thank you for your response. Does anyone have a link to the new driver?

7. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

The driver, and I don't think I am mistaken, comes with a disc on the 285. Install OSX with the base card, install driver, shutdown, swap cards, reboot.:D

8. SydneyDev macrumors 6502

Don't forget about the little black lever when taking the old card out. People always forget about that and end up snapping something off on their new machine.

9. vailance macrumors member

vailance

congrats!! im sure you love it~
    slowly upgrade that babe you'll enjoy it! ;)

10. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

1. Unpack your mac
    2. Smile
    3. Install your Harddiscs
    4. Boot the mac and install the OS
    5. Download the latest driver for the 285 GTX on www.evga.com
    6. Shutdown Mac
    7. Install the new 285 GTX
    8. Boot the Mac

Finish

11. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Thank-you, I'm actually not going to re-install OSX unless you all suggest that I re-install it upon the receipt of the GTX285

12. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

yes, if you already got your mac pro , you need only to install the newest drivers from evga.com and AFTER that install the card. no new installation of OS required.