Just posted my first YouTube video!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by someguy, Apr 18, 2007.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

So, I've been wanting to post a YouTube video for a while now, and I figure the only thing I have to offer to the YouTube community is a video of my trying to play guitar.

I've been playing for 9 months or so, not vigorously, just here and there, learning bits and pieces of songs I like - mostly Tool songs.

One song I can play all the way through is Rosetta Stoned (I love this song). So I posted a video of my playing the first half of the song. I can play the second half, but my hand gets too tired (c'mon, the song is over 11 minutes long, cut me some slack). :D

Anyways, I hope this OK to ask. I'd appreciate some feedback if anyone has a few minutes to spare. Maybe some tips on playing, or filming video, or whatever you have to say. :)

Disclaimer: I am not good at guitar so don't expect much. On top of that, I have no equipment to speak of. Very basic Fender guitar and very small amp. No pedals, no effects, no anything. Also, this was taken in one attempt, so there are a few blatant screw-ups. What can I say? Please take this into consideration if you choose to comment.

Thanks! :)

2. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Damn, so much for being excited. :p

Has anyone here watched the video at all?

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

it seemed pretty good. not my kind of music though.

the only advice i can think of is to maybe get into it a little more. don't just stand and play the guitar....try to show some emotion

4. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Thanks for the tip!

I expected to have someone say this to me. I understand this isn't your kind of music, but most guitar players look up to someone they think is incredible, for inspiration or otherwise. I look up to Adam Jones from Tool. Aside from many other things, I like how he doesn't jump around and act like a wild man when he plays. He stands there and does his thing and for some reason, I like that better. I guess I figure people should be more interested in the music rather than the image of some guy headbanging and throwing his long hair all over the place. :p

No disrespect to players like that, I just prefer to be relaxed and put forth my best effort (it's hard enough to hit the right notes standing still!).

Thanks again for watching. I'm hoping to get as much criticism (contructive, mind you) as I can. I've never really played for anyone before so I figured YouTube would be the best way for others to give input and maybe teach me something. :)

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well you don't have to throw you head around and stuff like that to show emotion.....actually, i'd rather you show it in your own way.....like maybe just the way you move your arms and fingers while playing the guitar or something?

just don't try to be like someone else....just do it in your own way.

6. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

That's good advice. I really feel like the way I play is my own way, because in person I'm very laid back. It just wouldn't be me to be very "into it" looking while playing.

I can't say for sure, though, because if I were in a band playing a show and the crowd was wild and the song was upbeat, I'd probably get pretty into it. :D

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well then, just keep playing more songs, and post more videos. then we'll get to see more of you and could probably give more advice :)

i'm guessing not many people here are into that music either, or more people would be commenting. but don't let that discourage you! keep playing what you like to play!

8. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

I plan to learn some new songs as I go and hopefully get some more videos up! I don't know very many songs all the way through, mostly just bits and pieces of songs, but learning takes time!

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah it does.....but, as they say, "practice makes perfect"

and don't be afraid to post videos if you think it's not good or something. dont worry about what others think.

just pick a song you like, and try to learn to play it. my brother can listen to a song and practice and play it on the piano. i know it's a little different, but he plays a lot (or used to) and he was good (especially for his age, started at 9 years old, playing elvis and bon jovi songs - maybe i should post him playing on there?)

10. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Wow, I started playing guitar when I was 20.

I'm 21 now so... yeah. I can only imagine if I had been playing since I was 9, I'd be so good! :D

11. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Sounded pretty good to me.:) Tool is an outstanding band, and you picked a fine song.
    My son is 6, and loves Guitar Hero. I've been thinking about getting him a real guitar and lessons. Think it is a little too early though, and it is hard as heck to find a child sized leftie guitar.

Anyway, props to you. Keep up the good work, and stay true to what you like to play and find your own style. And post more video.

12. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

you can string a regular guitar backwards for a leftie.

yo OP: can you play that song that good on acoustic, b/c acoustic is alot harder

13. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Thank you for the comment! I love Guitar Hero as well! The only song I have left to complete is Bark At The Moon on Expert (Guitar Hero I). :)

If your son has a genuine interest in learning guitar, I would definitely get him into lessons. I wish someone would've pointed me in this direction years ago. I only just recently bought my own guitar after playing my girlfriends acoustic for a few months...

...which brings me to this question. Yes, I learned this song on acoustic originally and I agree that acoustic is much harder than electric, at least for me anyways.

I find that it's more difficult to keep the strings pressed down hard enough (and without sounding out of tune) on an acoustic. Aside from that, they are too big and bulky for me. Once I started playing electric, I haven't felt the need to touch an acoustic guitar since.

Thanks to everyone that has posted here so far. I'm really looking for as much feedback as I can get, so I appreciate any input anyone would like to give me.

Oh, and if you like the video (or even if you don't) please comment on YouTube for me. :D

EDIT: Just for kicks, I recorded myself playing System of a Down's "Soldier Side (Intro)" and posted it as well. Check it out!

14. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

ya im thinkin about buyin an electric, theres some stuff which is meant for electric and sounds horible on acoustic

15. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

I agree.

I like the sound of electric better than acoustic for basically everything. Even acoustic songs sound better on electric (w/o distortion obviously) to me.

You should buy one if you are thinking about it. Definitely a lot of fun!

16. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I liked your playing.

As for electric-I've never heard it without an amp. I really want to learn acoustic, but are there any books for leftys out there? Like I bought an acoustic 5-6 years ago, but it was for a right handed person and I have absolutely NO rhythm in my right hand so I had to let it go. I'd really love to start again.

17. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Thank you. :)

My advice is to give right-handed a try. I do everything with my left (including writing) and would probably be a better player naturally on a left-handed guitar, but after learning to play right-handed, it's become second nature and I don't have any desire to switch at this point. To be honest, learning to play guitar is hard enough to where I don't think it would have been any easier to learn either way, at least for me.