Just pulled the trigger and ordered 11" Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MarvinHC, Jul 16, 2014.

1. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Just wanted to share my excitement. After a lot of considerations I have finally ordered a refurb 11" Air (2013 model, 4/256, i5). Can't wait to get it into my hands.

I will travel a lot for my job in the future and in addition to my professional laptop I want to bring my own one, hence the need for something very small. I have a cMBP 13" which is great but quite heavy, so this one will stay at home in the future or I might eventually sell it if I really like the Air enough. Until the last minute I was hesitating between 11" and 13" having played with both of them instore a couple of times. As I think many others are in the same position I want to share my thoughts and why I went for the 11" in the end:

Advantage 11":
    - really small and light, hardly bigger than an iPad
    - slightly cheaper

Advantage 13""
    - bigger screen (obviously)
    - SD card reader (annoys me that the 11" does not have it)
    - longer battery life

My biggest challenge was however, every time I was thinking about going for the 13" Air I started comparing it to the retina MBP 13" and starting wondering what the point of the Air is - very similar size and weight, not much of a price difference but the retina screen on the Pro with a somewhat reduced battery life...

Anyway, will get my 11" on Monday and will later on write, how I like it. And if not.... well I won't lose too much money on it, great prices in the refurb shop, I paid the equivalent of about 860 USD.

2. yosemit macrumors regular

Congrats on the new Air!

Yes, I agree to your opinion about Air 11" vs. rMBP 13". A 12" retina MBA would be perfect, but it's hard to say when it will come.

3. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Congrats! The 11 MBA is a great machine! Let us know how you like it.

4. MarvinHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Of course now that I have ordered, today the news are out that Broadwell might after all still come this year... oh well...

5. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

6. zunairryk macrumors regular

Where do you see that?

7. MarvinHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Some other thread(s) in this forum. Not sure if it is correct though.

8. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I wouldn't worry about it. It is all speculation at this point, and it could very well just be referring to the Broadwell M chips. Enjoy your new machine, and if for some reason you have to have it when it comes out, just sell your current machine and buy one:)

9. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

Thats awesome :) You have a job in the future?? Damn, I don't even know what I'm doing tomorrow....

10. MarvinHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

I even have a job right now..... but in the future I will be a lot more on the road hence the need for something very portable.

11. nexus4life macrumors regular

This.

That was also a big reason for me to make a macbook air (11" 2014, 128/8) my next machine- resale value. It seems that you can get at least half of what you paid 2-3 years out, more if you sell sooner. That is really fantastic.

12. MarvinHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am in an even better position. I ended up paying the equivalent of about 630 Euros for my refurbished. The exact same machine is on sale in Europe where I am originally from today for 1200 Euros. So when I want to sell it in a year or so, there is a good chance not losing much money at all :)

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Congrats on your new machine and saving money (which is always nice) :)

14. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

I just pulled the trigger on the 11' MBA refurbished as well. I got it for on the road and at home, I have a rMBP at work and use it at home but gets kinda cumbersome on the couch

15. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Um no!
    Though the 12-inch MacBook is delayed, a separate report from Economic Daily News [Google Translate], suggests new 11 and 13-inch MacBook Air models are set to enter production next month with new processors, chassis, screen, and other components.
    Hopefully with AMOLED Screens!

16. yosemit macrumors regular

NO, NO AMOLED, and NO PenTile.

17. MarvinHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Finally got it in my hands!

It looks 100% perfect cosmetically, cannot see any fault, scratch or usage. Battery cycle count is at 3 so also no issues there.
    Unfortunately no 'free upgrade' as I have read sometimes happens. I got what I paid for 4 GB RAM, 256 SSD. Speaking of which: Looks like I got a Sandisk (SD0256F) which from what I can gather here is the slower one? Oh well, can't have it all :)

Interestingly the screen size is almost identical with my work Lenovo X220 (which is a 12.5" screen - the height of the screen is almost exactly the same, the Lenovo is a bit wider though). I had not seen the two directly next to each other before and I am positively surprised. I have been using the X220 for years without an external screen and found the size to be sufficient. Luckily the air is a lot less high which will make using it on a plane in economy a lot easier.

18. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Great news! Glad to hear you like it:)