Just pulled the trigger...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jburrows500, Aug 22, 2007.

  1. jburrows500 macrumors regular

    jburrows500

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2007
    Location:
    Hells Kitchen NYC
    #1
    After giving it a lot of thought and reading many posts within this forum, I decided to pull the trigger. I was going to wait it out for the next update however came upon what I felt was a good deal on a refurbished for $2035 from Amazon. Like so many others, I plan on increasing the RAM when I get it. Does anyone have a link handy for RAM that will work well.

    In terms of adding hard drives.. would it be a thought to add another 250GB and use the new one and existing one in a RAID0.. then buy a raptor 74gb and put the os on that...

    Thanks for all your assistance over the months... much appreciated.
     
  2. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

    vicious7

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2007
    Location:
    Jacked into the net...
  3. jburrows500 thread starter macrumors regular

    jburrows500

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2007
    Location:
    Hells Kitchen NYC
  4. shayesky macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    Location:
    USA
    #4
    I nearly bought that machine last night myself. However, I called
    and was told the case had damage to it. Although from the description,
    it sounded like the cardboard box was the part that was damaged.
    Let us know when you get it.
     
  5. Father Jack macrumors 68020

    Father Jack

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2007
    Location:
    Ireland
  6. jburrows500 thread starter macrumors regular

    jburrows500

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2007
    Location:
    Hells Kitchen NYC
    #6
    Yeah, the description was a little confusing. My interpretation was the box (which I assumed was the cardboard box) was damaged... But you called on it? I have actually seen the vendor advertise on a number of different web sites so my feeling is they have far more than just one... Oh well.. time will tell. The return policy is 30 days so in worse case it goes back... I don't mind a scratch or two as long as it runs fine... The vendors approval rating was something like 97% out of some ridiculously large number.. like 250,000 sales..
     
  7. shayesky macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    Location:
    USA
    #7
    i called, but....

    you talk with someone overseas, and it is hard to determine if
    they actually know WTF they are talking about. I may order one myself.
    I was told they are shipping from the Lexington, KY warehouse, and
    I am in lexington. the return policy is awesome as well, so worst case,
    it goes back at no cost to either of us. Yeah, and no sales tax on
    Amazon subsidiaries. But, does it qualify for the rebate ? ;)
     
  8. jburrows500 thread starter macrumors regular

    jburrows500

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2007
    Location:
    Hells Kitchen NYC
    #8
    It cost me 2035 which includes shipping and no tax with no mention of a rebate... Its the lowest I have ever seen it aside from the used market. I am assuming I can get applecare for it.
     
  9. shayesky macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    Location:
    USA
    #9
    that was another one of my questions to them. it is my understanding
    (from talking with another vendor) that it will have orginal warranty
    started from the date it was registered, so, if the serial number is unregistered, you have the full year. onsale.com has an open box for
    $2129. I mean surely Amazon wouldn't sell damaged goods, they would
    be returned constantly. this is the best deal going.
     
  10. sblasl macrumors 6502a

    sblasl

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2004
    Location:
    Heber Springs, AR
    #10
    Good move, especially if you are wanting to be productive now instead of later. I still don't think there will be an update to the Mac Pro until after the first of the year.

    I would get the Raptor 150GB (WD1500AHFD) and use that as the Boot drive. I filled the other 3 HD caddies with Seagate 500GB (ST3500641AS). I have 6GB of RAM.
     
  11. jburrows500 thread starter macrumors regular

    jburrows500

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2007
    Location:
    Hells Kitchen NYC
    #11
    I am guessing in order to configure the raptor to be your boot drive I would have to install the extra 250GB and the raptor then do a reinstall of the os off the original 250 and onto the 74GB raptor.. is that how you do it?
     
  12. shayesky macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    Location:
    USA
    #12
    WTF would you want the Raptor? OK it might be 10K rpms, but
    damn, that is going to be full, especially if you are using
    things like FCP2. Get a 500gb SATA for $110 and be done

    oh, ordered myself a dirt cheap 2.66 just a few minutes ago. Screw waiting.
     
  13. jburrows500 thread starter macrumors regular

    jburrows500

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2007
    Location:
    Hells Kitchen NYC
    #13
    Same here.. was just tired of waiting and needed something as my current P4 box should have been tossed two years ago... Did you order the one from amazon for $2004?
     
  14. shayesky macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    Location:
    USA
    #14
    yep. going to order RAM tomorrow. $2035 shipped. great deal.
    I keep machines three years, but if the new ones are THAT much
    better, I can sell it and not lose much cash.
     
  15. suneohair macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #15
    Getting it cheap is a good way to go at this point. Mine will be a flat $1900 for the base with BT, but I figure why not wait for the update and pay that much for a newer faster one.

    Congrats to you though! :D
     
  16. jburrows500 thread starter macrumors regular

    jburrows500

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2007
    Location:
    Hells Kitchen NYC
    #16
    Man.. you must be getting teh ADC, edu and refurbished discount all in one... thats an incredible price.

    Shay.. not sure about you but I havent even received a "it shipped" email yet from wharehouse... I'm holding off on ordering the ram until I get the box and it works... I'm a little pesemisitic about this deal...
     
  17. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

    vicious7

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2007
    Location:
    Jacked into the net...
    #17
    hm, all this waiting is making me antsy. I'm almost tempted to pick a refurb now. :eek:
     
  18. suneohair macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #18
    ADC plus something else. So yeah. It is a steal. Which is why I am waiting. I know I could buy the current one. But...nah :D

    Don't worry about it too much. Hopefully it doesn't go terribly wrong. So you bought it from Amazon, the new and used people section, yeah?

    No!!!! Don't do it!
     
  19. slughead macrumors 68040

    slughead

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2004
    #19
    Keep hope alive!

    Luckily I wont be using this comp much anymore after Sunday, I don't have to worry about updates (I was going to buy a new video card).
     
  20. suneohair macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #20
    Why won't you be using it?
     
  21. sblasl macrumors 6502a

    sblasl

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2004
    Location:
    Heber Springs, AR
    #21
    Go for it, if you need to be productive and actually have to accomplish something then you purchase a computer at the first opportunity. If you do not have a real need for a computer than you just play the game of waiting for the next update.

     
  22. jburrows500 thread starter macrumors regular

    jburrows500

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2007
    Location:
    Hells Kitchen NYC
    #22
    I'll tell you what convinced me not to wait any longer was going onto eBay and looking at what MacPro's are going for used... I have no idea why a person would pay 2300 for a used 2.66 with no warranty but they do.. every day! So I figured buying it for 2035 I am certainly not going to loose my shirt in the event I want to sell it within a year.
     
  23. slughead macrumors 68040

    slughead

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2004
    #23
    Med school :)
     
  24. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

    vicious7

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2007
    Location:
    Jacked into the net...
    #24
    Well, here's the situation. I bought a 2.2 MBP to try out Apple and OSX and to hold me over until the new MPs were released. While the MBP is doing a bang-up job keeping up with all the post we're doing with FCP, it's beginning to show some weaknesses (namely rendering times). The new MP was to take over all FCP work while my MBP would manage little tasks like storyboarding and rough cuts when on location. I also plan to pick up an additional three MPs for the design team in my art department (I own a small media company). The poor guys are still using PCs with Adobe CS2 and Avid. Based on my impressions using OSX, FCP and CS3 on Mac, I believe, without a doubt, that they are gonna start enjoying their jobs again :) Life is so much easier on a Mac.

    I am waiting for a couple of reasons: we won't have any extensive HD video to edit until the end of September; and the new tech should future proof the department for a little bit as the company grows.

    But, I still have some material that needs a lot of work and the MBP is taking the brunt of it. I feel sorry for the little guy...lol. And that's why a refurb is so tempting right now.
     
  25. sblasl macrumors 6502a

    sblasl

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2004
    Location:
    Heber Springs, AR
    #25
    Your on the fence for a valid & compelling reason. A refurb MP might be your low-end entry machine that allows your folks to get up to speed with the software & hardware as well as putting together workflow's, etc. It would still accomplish alot in the immediate future as well as being able to be a very productive piece of hardware in the future. Adding additional memory & a new graphics card when available will help support your needs for at least 2-3 years into the future.

     

Share This Page