Just pulled trigger on new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by RhymeAnimal, Oct 21, 2016.

1. RhymeAnimal macrumors member

RhymeAnimal

Couldn't wait any more, just ordered 6core Mac Pro from the apple store. Sometimes you just have to GET TO WORK. Looking forward to blazing speed and finally adding laser morph transitions in FCPX.

2. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Face palm. Those things are almost half price used now even in near perfect condition with warranties from places like we buy/cex

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

But... new Macs in less than a week. Surely you could've waited a few days to see if the Mac Pro was updated?

And as the poster above said, they're considerably cheaper used. Even brand-new from a retailer would save you a solid 10-15% compared to the Apple Store.

I just... I just don't understand :confused:

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Well its actually close enough he could return it if a new model is announced or released.

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

That's a jolly good point. I hadn't thought of that.

6. grcar Suspended

grcar

You have one month to return it. Bring it to any apple store and save shipping.

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

My Mac Pro from 2010 still outperforms my higher-specced brand new Dell Workstation at work. You'll definitely enjoy your purchase.

8. CapnDavey macrumors 6502

CapnDavey

I did that once about 14 years ago bought the only new mac I've ever had enjoy have fun

9. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Unless this person used apple gift cards.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 21, 2016 ---
    If possible, I'm sure Apple will allow those who purchased within a month to return it to buy a new model, right? I think...

10. ITguy2016 Suspended

Apple has been known to ship the new version of a product in place of the old depending on timing. He may just get a new product, should a comparable one be available, without having to ask.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 21, 2016 ---
    Agreed. If you've got work to do and a new system will increase productivity then I say go for it. Waiting for the latest and greatest is a futile effort.

11. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502

aaronhead14

Wow....... Why give up now when NEW MACS GET RELEASED NEXT WEEK?!

12. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Seems like a win-win-win scenario.
    • Gets a week's worth of work done.
    • If no new Mac Pro, then he's a week ahead.
    • If new Mac Pro, it's within the return period and he gets to experience that new computer feeling twice.

13. RhymeAnimal thread starter macrumors member

RhymeAnimal

Had no idea a new one was coming out, big mistake on my part. Also- it won't arrive for 3 weeks, and I already paid for it.

FAIL.

14. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I was trying to keep people from raining on your parade, but I give up now. :rolleyes:

15. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

I think this person is within 14 days return policy?
    Or this person can go to apple store and work with their mac pro.

16. loby, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016

loby macrumors 6502a

loby

I think it is 14 days and not a month. Check to make sure. It could be just where I was (overseas). I bought Mac Pro 2013 back in July (had to and could not wait anymore for work reasons).

Don't regret. I enjoy my model. Save up and put more RAM in (at least 32 GB) and you will notice a difference). Crucial memory is cheaper and does the job, but you cannot use it together with the stocked 4 GB Apple memory chips.

If you are located in a cold place in the winter, then it will also keep you warm and it will save you on heat costs.. ;). Hot air like a valcano comes out when rendering sometimes, but hey, take it or leave it.

If it works for what you are doing, then thumbs up. Yes, you can return it next week if something better arrives...maybe A new Mac Pro....maybe not. With the picture that went out with the invites, no one knows what the mac lineup with look like after.....good or bad...for the Mac Pro.

The model works great with FCPX, but has a few glitches (screen flickers on occasion), but hoping that the next release of Sierra will resolve that...here's hoping!!!

17. ITguy2016 Suspended

You may want to investigate that this is not an issue with the graphics cards. The nMP is known to have an issue with them and Apple has a program in place to replace them.

18. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Thanks, I bought it refurbished on Apple Online and this is the second one after replacing the first (never again will buy a refurb unit-though many on these forums say it is ok). Same issue with both units. Kind of a weird boot (screen flickers once before final boot sequence, i.e. boot bar gets half way and then it looks like the graphic cards adjust back and forth). Working in Japan so is also an issue (5 hours away from the nearest Apple store).

My unit does not fall in the replacement year-time for the replacement program, for it was made in March 2016. I plan on purchasing apple care for it (I have until next July), so "if" it is a graphic issue, I will have some time to make sure before it goes under the knife at tech support (which I prefer not-issues in the past).

There is even a building class action possibly about the model in general and is why rumors are going around about discontinuing the mac pro. When running system checks, nothing shows as a problem. It is only when I am working with FCPX does the screen flicker black on occasion, but seems a little better with Sierra.

If a OS like Mavericks is better to use, I will downgrade, but use FCPX as my main software which does not get upgrades anymore with Mavericks. Kind of in a pickle. Hoping the next Sierra update may fix it since the mac pro 2013 is shipping now with Sierra.

Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

19. JamesPDX Suspended

JamesPDX

Well, the nnMP might not have anything but 6 USB-C ports on the back. If you need dual Gb ethernet, USB 3, and Thunderbolt 2 support, then your tube purchase was probably wise.

20. joelypolly macrumors 6502

I had the same issue but my fans ran at full speed as well. Took it to the Apple Store and they replaced the CPU raiser board under warranty and the issue has gone away

21. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Humm...
    I have some time before warranty ends, so will monitor the situation. The fan runs silent, but when rendering heats up pretty hot. I thought this is normal with 6 cores running. Also the boot sequence seems to be the same as the replacement (meaning after the apple logo appears the bar under goes half way and then black screen flicker resize as if the graphic cards are switching and then it goes back to normal boot and finishes to login screen). Will eventually take it in when I will be in the Apple Store area.

Does anyone else with a Mac Pro 2013 notice this during the boot sequence?

22. ITguy2016 Suspended

Is there a driving factor in not having Apple check it out while it's still within the warranty period? I know you have some time but why tolerate a potential issue if you should not have to?

23. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Yes, working in Japan from CA and the Apple Store is 5 hours (bus and train and on another island) away. I could ship it, but would rather take it in personally. Not like southern Cal. Where I can drive 20 minutes to an Apple Store. The Mac Pro 2013 is my main production work horse for FCPX, so I cannot be out a few weeks if I send it by mail. In a few months I may be in the area of a store and may take it with me and have them check it out by appointment. I noticed overseas support is not as good as in the U.S. If I call, they transfer me to Australia for English speaking and when I talked to support before, the tech or 'genius' or whatever name now said they will call Japan and call me back....that was July and it is October...no follow up email, nothing...

24. Philocetes macrumors regular

Philocetes

Let's not rain on his parade. And we don't really know mac pro will be part of the announcement. The only rumors have regarded laptops. Also there is potential a mac pro announcement will be a product line end of life, or a declaration that a new imac will be the 'mac pro' from here on in. Still, my experience is that a new product announcement can lower the prices of used units as well.

25. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Sorry, your right. Even though I have a slight issue with my Mac Pro 2013, I still love it and do not regret the purchase. It cost me about $400 more in Japan for the same model, but it works fast for rendering and I was able to do my projects at twice the speed. Just hope the next update to Sierra works out the bugs if it is not hardware related.