Just purchased a 2018 MBA

SpunZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2018
First time owner of a mac computer. Picked up the 8gb/256ssd model. I decided to spend a little bit more now then having to deal with an external drive in the future. For the couple hours I used it last night, it was great. A few standouts are just how beautiful the computer is and how silent it runs.

I am attempting to avoid dongle town so I picked up a few cables. usb-c to Lightning, usb-c to HDMI, usb-c to Usb-a, and a small usb-c to usb-a female adapter. I also bought an incase protective sleeve, and a clear keyboard protector off amazon that had good reviews, but the jury is out on how that is.

I have a desktop PC I use for gaming. With this machine I plan to use for media consumption and some light photo/video editing. I also have future plans to start and run an online business. The portability is a huge plus for travel and just being able to slip into my backpack.

Any good new user tips?
Thanks

auxbuss

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2014
UK
Any good new user tips?
Don't drop it. (More of a pro tip, but useful to noobs too.)

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on moving to macOS. I remember making the move and finding it much easier than I expected; but a lot's changed since those days.

Enjoy the MBA. I agree that portability is one of its best points.

SpunZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2018
Don't drop it. (More of a pro tip, but useful to noobs too.)

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on moving to macOS. I remember making the move and finding it much easier than I expected; but a lot's changed since those days.

Enjoy the MBA. I agree that portability is one of its best points.
I'll give my full thoughts after using the machine for a week or so, I have been busy so have not been able to use it much.

One thing OS side that I found useful is that static toolbar on the top that has all different options that change based on what application you are using.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koh Phi Phi

gollum

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2007
MI
Buy the Missing Manual for Mojave, you will learn a lot. Mojave is a pretty powerful OS.

SpunZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2018
Really starting to make use of all the gestures. Very slick. And having different desktops open with different apps, being able to swap in between them with a three finger swipe feels really good.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
First time owner of a mac computer. Picked up the 8gb/256ssd model. I decided to spend a little bit more now then having to deal with an external drive in the future. For the couple hours I used it last night, it was great. A few standouts are just how beautiful the computer is and how silent it runs.

I am attempting to avoid dongle town so I picked up a few cables. usb-c to Lightning, usb-c to HDMI, usb-c to Usb-a, and a small usb-c to usb-a female adapter. I also bought an incase protective sleeve, and a clear keyboard protector off amazon that had good reviews, but the jury is out on how that is.

I have a desktop PC I use for gaming. With this machine I plan to use for media consumption and some light photo/video editing. I also have future plans to start and run an online business. The portability is a huge plus for travel and just being able to slip into my backpack.

Any good new user tips?
Thanks
I may try the 128gb version, but if I do run out of space I think I may get an external drive to hold any files on. Don't know too much about going that route in the future but we will see.

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Keep your hands clean when typing on the keyboard. There have been too many reports of keyboard-related issues with the new 2018 MBA...

Expobill

Suspended
May 30, 2018
Buy a pentalobe screw driver just incase you need to check or clean something out that instance!
We hope you never need to use that though

Dave245

macrumors 604
Sep 15, 2013
Just bought one over the weekend. Silver - 16gb mem, 512gb storage + apple care. So, far I'm loving it.
That’s the configuration I’ve been looking at getting :) only difference is I’m thinking of getting the gold one.

How are you finding it so far, is it fast? Also is it worth getting the 16GB Ram?

Eksoccer99

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2018
That’s the configuration I’ve been looking at getting :) only difference is I’m thinking of getting the gold one.

How are you finding it so far, is it fast? Also is it worth getting the 16GB Ram?
Seems pretty fast. Haven't fully pushed its limits yet, as I just got it. I do a little bit of photography/graphics on the side. So, looking to use photoshop, lightroom, etc... For that reason, I wanted to make sure, but have read 8gb mem is fine. Was debating between the air vs ipad pro, but for the money and vs. macOS and iOS. Wanted a full OS and not change any/my workflow. Love how light it is, too. If I need something bigger, I have our 27" iMac. I plan on getting KB cover, to be safe, but also went with AppleCare. (which I normally don't get/do).

Reactions: Dave245

ryannotlaw

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2018
Currently saving for this exact machine. Apple sells it on Amazon it for $150 less, so that is helping with the cost of the SSD size increase for me.

HappyInCalgary

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
How is the speed and daily use on the 8g/256g MBA?
I have the 8 GB RAM/256 GB 2018 Macbook Air. I have about 11 applications open including three browsers with multiple tabs open. I haven't noticed any slowdowns. Prior to this, I owned a 2011 Macbook Air. I had really looked into the 2017 Macbook Pro as they were priced similarly but didn't want the older keyboard. I hope this helps.

SpunZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2018
How is the speed and daily use on the 8g/256g MBA?
With everyday use it is very smooth, I honestly would like to see a side by side of the 8gb and 16gb model to see where / if the difference is noticeable.

Reactions: frocco