Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmodog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
It's a used MBP 2.33Ghz with matte display, purchased in late January. The previous owner was actually a Windows user who tried to switch but could never get used to the Mac system. So I'm assuming any use in it has been very light.

I'm going to pick it up tomorrow so I was wondering if there was anything I should do to test the machine, to make sure nothing's wrong with it and everything's running at it's full potential. Any ideas?

This will be the first laptop I've ever gotten too, so if there's anything in general I should know about taking care of it and assuring it's longevity, also if there's any essential widgets/shareware/freeware I should look out for, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

netguy

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2007
Apple > About This Mac > More info

Make sure that you are getting what you paid for.

Look for dead pixels on the screen.

Besides that just make sure you see an original purchase receipt, and warranty information, as anything that doesnt work, can be fixed.

dmodog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
Thanks for the help so far. Thought I should mention, I'm not planning to actually fully test the macbook out when I go to pick it up. This is more so for when I get home with it. The most I'll probably do when I pick it up is make sure it powers on (and doing so, look for any glaring dead pixels). Otherwise I have full confidence the seller is legit and fine. It was actually my suggestion that I pick it up rather than have him send it to me when I live only 7 or so miles away.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
if he's registered the serial # already, make sure he transfers that too.

otherwise they wont repair your MBP should something go wrong.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Make him run the Apple hardware test provided on the DVD that came with the Mac.

I'm not sure if the original owner of my Dual 1.8 Ghz G5 ever registered it... I just reregistered it and never had an issue calling Apple. I even had it repaired under the Applecare I purchased.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.