Just purchased first Mac!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by popaleetus, Jun 9, 2009.

1. popaleetus macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have just purchased my first Apple Computer (15 inch MBP 2.8ghz 4gb 500gb HDD)! :) I'm so excited. Anything i should expect, seeing as I am switching over from Windows to OS X?

2. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Congratulations!

Congratulations on your new Mac, enjoy it.

Edit* to answer your question. Expect no crashes and things to just work.

:)

3. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Congrats, you've come to the right place! ;)

Check out the guides here if you have questions. :)

4. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

Welcome! You will love it. You should expect to be amazed you didn't switch sooner!

Things I had to get used to was using shortcuts instead of right clicking. But then again you have the new track pad which makes right clicking very easy. But still learn all the commands they are very useful! You just have to learn how to use the operating system. It is much easier than MS and it is so easy to learn you will have it down before the end of your first week.

Enjoy your Mac!
    :apple: :D

5. popaleetus thread starter macrumors newbie

6. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

Congrats!!!!!!!

Now post some pics of the new displays to see and find the differences....
    Maybe they are not so bad afterall...

The new ones on the 13 inch are fantastic!

7. popaleetus thread starter macrumors newbie

Just received my mac and all i can say is WOW! It's such an amazing machine. Nothing is wrong with it, and runs flawlessly. I'm hooked on Mac now :)

8. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Congrats, you truly got an amazing laptop and you should be pleased for a very long time.

ChrisN

9. King James macrumors member

10. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Expect that Mac is not Windows, and it does things differently. If you give yourself a chance to adjust and learn, you will be greatly rewarded.

11. kokesh macrumors regular

12. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Congrats!

Most importantly, have fun!

I'm sure it won't take you long to fall in love with your first Mac.

;)

13. Taevt macrumors newbie

I purchased my first one today as well (Standard high-end 13" MBP) and it shipped out the same day.

Stupid weekend in the way, so it'll be here Monday, which is cool, because I wanted it by next Friday when I leave town for a wedding.

14. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

Yes another congrats.

Not to derail this thread, but I seriously would have to toss my computer out of a window if I was forced to use a PC. All the crashes and system lock ups really are annoying. I am happy to say I haven't used a PC, at my home, in many years. Computing is so much easier on a Mac

I hope you enjoy your new MAC.

15. picklesmand macrumors member

yup. my advice: LEARN KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS. trust me. you will fly. doesn't take long to get used to them. I'm still finding cool ones I didn't know.

basic stuff:
    cmd + option + escape : the mac equivalent of ctrl-alt-delete (force quit an unresponsive app)
    cmd + , (comma) preferences, any app.
    cmd + w : close window
    cmd + q : quit
    cmd + tab - change apps
    - while changing apps, with your thumb still on the cmd, press q to quit (really useful for killing a whole bunch of stuff) h to hide (better than minimize, cause you still can't re-maximize with the keyboard)
    cmd + ~ (tilde, next to the 1 key) : cycle through windows in current app (awesome)

in finder:
    cmd + o OR cmd + downarrow : open file
    enter - rename : (you get used to this....)
    space bar : quick look (awesome)
    cmd + 1, 2, 3, 4 switch views
    cmd + uparrow : go up to parent folder
    cmd + A : select all
    cmd + delete : move to trash
    cmd + shift + delete: empty trash
    shift + arrow keys (or mouse): select a bunch of files
    cmd + mouse click - select individual files (ok not stricly keyboard...)
    alt + mouse drag : copy file (if you just drag, it moves the file, unlike windows)

safari:
    cmd + t : new tab
    cmd + w: close tab
    cmd + z : undo close tab (awesome)
    cmd + shift + leftarrow, rightarrow - move around tabs
    cmd + n : new window

cool stuff:
    ctrl + 2 finger scroll = zoom in
    cmd + shift + 3 : screenshot of whole screen
    cmd + shift + 4 : screenshot with selection (both make a new file on your desktop)

random stuff:
    in any print dialog, you can "print" to a PDF... very handy.
    (+ hundreds of other things you'll find....)

also, in keyboard preferences, make sure you have the "all controls" selected . then when you get a "OK" "cancel" dialog, space chooses the outlined button, enter chooses the blue button.

seems like a lot, but just try a few, and you'll see.......

16. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

You should expect to enjoy your Mac!--)) I switched a little over 3 years ago and I plan on NEVER going back to windoz hell, it's registry, anti-spyware, virus software etc.......

You will Love how OSX works. It took me just hours to adjust and IM telling you it was a pleasure. It was the Easiest switch to an OS I have ever made.

Congrats and Enjoy that beauty! ;)

17. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

Nice I didn't know a few of these!

18. skelephat macrumors newbie

I am also converting from PC to Mac :). I've been using PCs for almost a decade now, and I have been a fan of Mac for years but my parents always denied to buy me one. However, I've been saving for the past couple of years and finally purchased the 15 inch MBP/2.53/320GB yesterday morning. I'm anxious/excited/nervous all at once!

I just have a few questions and didn't want to open a new thread.

I've always had horrible luck with batteries and them never lasting on me. When I get my MBP should I go ahead and calibrate it? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490 with these instructions? What does a cycle consist of? Example, what if I have it plugged in, unplug it for an hour or two without the battery being fully dead, then plug it back in... will that count as one cycle? When it's turned off, should I always have it unplugged? Knowing how to properly use a laptop's battery has never been my forte..

Also, how can I check what kind of screen I got (the 9CA3 stuff) and how many battery cycles it has gone through?

Aaah I just can't wait overall! Thanks in advance to everyone who kindly replies.

19. Humey macrumors newbie

Congratulations!! Thats the same system I ordered on Wednesday 10th, welcome to Mac, before you know it you will be a MacWhore and live in a giant hollowed out apple!!