just purchased highest end air rev.B ... is the SSD SATA ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gjarold, Nov 8, 2008.

1. gjarold macrumors regular

I just came home with the 1.8ghz, 128 gb SATA version of the new macbook air.

Is that SSD in there a SATA SSD ?

off topic: very, very annoyed with the old-style trackpad with button ... that was a nice new clean design aesthetic and am very annoyed it is not on the air.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Okay, your post is sorta twisted. You state that you bought the "SATA Version 128GB". Then you ask if the SSD is SATA? :confused:

3. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

4. Philflow macrumors 65816

In case you did not know, you can enable tap to click in system preferences.

And yes the 128GB SSD is SATA.

5. mac jones macrumors 68040

Yes the SATA drive is SATA

6. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

what a screwed up thread

best i have read in a LONG time...

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Of course it's SATA.

On the trackpad, I returned a MB and even though the trackpad was new and slick, I found myself accidentally clicking by being heavy handed. The Air's pad is nice in its own right.

You can enable all the same gestures as the MB & MBP. It even has the 4 finger swipe.

8. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

yeah I think the macbook air's trackpad is awesome. Some people complain that the click button is too small but personally I like it.

If you wanted the glass trackpad you should have just gotten the macbook. sometimes people should do their research before splashing out $$ on an expensive notebook.

9. akm3 macrumors 68020

The Rev.A Air used PATA drives, but the new one has changed to SATA (Because of the new chipset being used)

10. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Not necessarily, SATA drives with the slim form weren't readily available when the 1st Air was designed. They're still pretty rare give the fact Apple hasn't shipped any HDD models yet.

11. dimension6 macrumors newbie

Slc / Mlc ?

Does anyone know if the new Samsung 128GB SSD drive is an SLC or MLC drive? I've been looking for this crucial bit of information everywhere, but no one seems to mention it. The Gen. 1 MBA had the higher quality SLC drive, but I suspect the newer model switched to the cheaper (and probably lower quality) MLC-type drive.

New technology updates may have made the MLC drives nearly as fast/reliable as the SLC ones. I have a 64GB Samsung SLC drive in my VAIO and it works amazingly well, but I trust Samsung to make a decent MLC drive.

By the way, if you don't know what I'm talking about, just read this brief explanation: http://www.flashbay.com/slc_mlc_usb_flash_drives.html

12. dimension6 macrumors newbie

Incidentally...

The drive I guess is in the MBA Rev. 2 is this one.

13. shokunin macrumors regular

14. dimension6 macrumors newbie

Thank you. Then, the 64GB drive is actually a higher quality one, unless serious improvements have been made to SSDs since then (which is also quite possible).

15. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Rev B SSD is PATA

I just received my new Macbook Air. I looked on the Apple serial number info page and it states that the 128 SSD is a Parallel ATA.

16. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Don't know what you got but maybe the info. is wrong. Straight from the horses mouth so to speak:

Attached Files:

17. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

Yea i would believe NC Macguy as he takes apart everything LOL

18. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I certainly hope it's a mistake, it would be a bit disheartening if Apple was shipping PATA and SATA SSD's in the Rev B Airs. Here's a pic of my Air's info from the Apple serial number info site. Does this mean that the SSD drive is SATA and the bus is PATA? I thought both had to be SATA? I'm not that much of a techie either.

Attached Files:

19. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I don't even think they (Samsung) make a 128 GB 1.8" 5mm PATA drive. I for one would have liked one to replace my 1st gen.'s HDD. I think their site is in error.

20. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

For the trackpad annoyance, it's because the Air is too thin. The glass they use is kinda thick, compared with the air. There's simply not enough room.

21. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

The test you are using is wacked I posted it....it info is not up to date.

22. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Are you looking at the serial number information on this site? If so, THAT IS NOT AN OFFICIAL APPLE SITE - it's run by random people not affiliated with Apple. Why would you take the information this site presents as the final word on the specs of your machine? :rolleyes:

23. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Apple is advertising all over when detail is given it's SATA. It's SATA.

24. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic