Just purchased Ipad2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by delle123, Dec 16, 2011.

1. delle123 macrumors newbie

Hello guys just purchased an iPad 2 about a couple hours ago. You guys have any recommendations on what apps to put on it either buy or free ones? I am a college student also. Was wondering if there is a web browser I should download or keep safari? Also any other great apps I should know about or anything with the iPad itself? Thanks guys.

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

get opera and dolphin browsers, cinemarkx for movies player, 1 password if you have used it before on a mac, watever office apps or pages that's pretty much wat I have been using.

3. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

4. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

The three Fs:
    Facebook
    Flixster
    Flipboard

And congrats on your new iPad. After nine months months of being without one, I finally bought it again yesterday and couldn't be happier. :)

5. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

6. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Facebook
    Flipboard
    Netflix
    GTA III
    Sonic CD
    LIFE
    Break
    Engadget
    iBook

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

8. t0ddl3s macrumors newbie

I have a used a few different web browsers but always end up going back to Safari, it's the best IMO. Since you're a student you need an app for taking notes, I use Evernote, syncs with the Mac/PC version and is free. I'd also recommend DropBox so you can access your files. Also Penultimate is great if you need to make some quick sketches, if you don't want to pay there may be some free alternatives on the App Store. If you use gmail I'd also recommend the Gmail app, integrates with Gmail better than the default mail app (support for labels, archiving etc)
    Hope these help.

9. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

Goodreader
    Evernote
    iBooks
    Netflix
    Garageband
    Pandora
    Find My iPhone

10. knp macrumors newbie

I'm a college student too & these are the apps I've found useful for academic stuff:
    • Evernote
    • Dropbox
    • ReaddleDocs (or GoodReader)

I could look into getting a stylus & seeing what'd it be like to "hand write" notes on the iPad, but not at that point yet.

11. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

Pulse

Can't live without it, best news aggregator IMHO.

12. delle123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys..do drop box and Evernote work hand and hand? I'm somewhat confused if they work together? Also either iannotate or PDF expert app do they work with drop box or Evernote?

13. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

If you want an AMAZING game for it, definitely purchase "Grand Theft Auto 3". It's the first thing I used on my iPad 2 when I got it yesterday :D

14. t0ddl3s macrumors newbie

Evernote is a note taking and note syncing application and DropBox allows you to access files inside it across all your devices, so you could access documents stored inside DropBox on you Mac and then open them on your iPad.

I use Evernote on my iPad to take down quick notes and then when I get home I'll use evernote on my Mac to organize my notes and tag them. Because Evernote syncs via the cloud automatically anything you add on the iPad version automatically downloads to the Mac/PC version.

I keep all my course related files stored in DropBox that way I can gain access to them on my iPad. Dropbox is kinda like a flash drive in the cloud, you put files into it from one device and it will automatically download to all your others, great when I need to work on a report on one of the crappy school pc's when I've left my Mac at home.

15. delle123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. What other apps you use for school? Is Evernote the best note taking app you feel?

16. illini71 macrumors member

I would get puffin for your flash browser. This browser allows me to access Cisco net academy.

17. jojoba macrumors 68000

Congrats on your iPad!

PDF Expert is a great app. IMO it's easier to use than iAnnotate and also syncs easily with Dropbox. If you want a free alternative, PDF notes seems good too and also has dropbox integration.

I mainly use Evernote for shorter notes and other note taking apps for longer pieces of writing, such as my script memo, pages, notability or 7notesHD. There's also paper port notes and good notes which are free.

18. Akack macrumors 6502a

19. HERO XXL macrumors regular

Congratulations on your purchase--you'll find that in the realm of higher education, the tablet is invaluable when it comes to making your life easier.
    A few good apps have already been mentioned in regards to making your experience a worthwhile one--those being:

Dropbox
    iBooks
    Find my iPhone (you can never be too safe!!)
    Pages (MUCH more than simply a word processor!!)

I'd like to add to that list:

Notability--I utilize this specific app for class notes. In addition to organizing my notes by class and having its own search engine so you're able to find what you may be looking for only within the app & the notes you've entered) it ALSO allows you to record as well.

eTextbooks--no use in spending more money than you have to, or lugging around tons of books. This app allows you to download the same textbooks that you use in class for a fraction of the price, since you're renting them for a 6 month period. Worth every penny.

No matter what your course of study, I'm certain that there are apps that can also be used to aid you--don't be afraid to search around and be sure to read the reviews of the apps you're into prior to your purchase--you'll be glad that you did.

Best of luck to you.

20. delle123 thread starter macrumors newbie

The pages app. I dont really plan on writing papers on this just notes. I have my MBP for long papers. Is it still worth it to get pages? Thank you guys for the apps to help me with my iPad I appreciate it.

----------

Can you add Evernote notes into drop box or would that be pointless?

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I always have my MBP with me. Bought Pages but never used it on iPad 2.

I use apps for text only writing with dropbox sync.

You can sync multiple apps with dropbox.