Just Purchased Macbook Pro 17" - AMEX Warranty Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RandyJS, Jul 3, 2008.

1. RandyJS macrumors member

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to drop in and let you all know that I just just placed an order for the following items. Note: my employer is reimbursing me for the FULLY LOADED Macbook Pro and for the printer! Plus I am a student and will get the free iPod. My question is does AMERICAN EXPRESS double my warranty for the computer, printer and the iPod, making it a total of 2 years? TIA!

SAMSUNG SCX-4500 MULTI LASER PRINTER-USA
    TN795LL/A

MACBOOK PRO 17/SD
    Z0F2
    Custom configuration| Hide
    2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Res WS
    4GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    300GB Serial ATA @ 4200 rpm
    SuperDrive 8x DL
    No iWork Preinstalled
    No Final Cut Exp Preinstalled
    No Aperture Preinstalled
    No Logic Exp Preinstalled
    KYBD/User's Guide
    Country Kit
    Ships by: Jul 7 - Jul 9
    Delivers by: Jul 9 - Jul 14

IPOD TOUCH 8G W/JAN SOFT UPG-USA
    MA623LL/B

Ships by: Jul 3 - Jul 7
    Delivers by: Jul 8 - Jul 9

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

For a repair, but outside Apple's 90-day complimentary support you may be asked for a credit card when calling in with a problem.

Doesn't get charged for a HW problem, but they do nail you if you call in and it turns out to be SW.

---

Plus it is a pay upfront and get a refund from the Buyers Assurance Program, I think. If you are outside of Apple's 1 year warranty period.

Details should be on the Amex Website.

Applecare makes it easier for people always calling support lines to get help, without getting charged.

3. PLin macrumors 6502

Yes, without AppleCare, Apple might try to charge you when calling in for a problem, but if you live near an Apple Store, you can always consult with a Mac Genius for free even if you don't have AppleCare. The Genius can give you an out-of-warranty repair estimate, which you then have to forward to Amex for approval. Since you may or may not want to have Apple perform the repair prior to getting approval from Amex, you may have to make another trip to the store to drop the computer off for repair.

4. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Why dont you call AMEX and find out? get it straight from the horses mouth.

I dont know why your asking here, you need to talk to them! :)

5. aquajet macrumors 68020

Why don't you read your card agreement, since you obviously haven't done so? You really ought to read about what you get yourself into before you agree to do business with a credit card company.

6. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I love AMEX. They are amazing...

They extend your warranty by 1 year and every time I have had a problem, they just refund the money or give me a new item. Great system there. Also you are covered 90 days for accidental damage, theft/lost items, and returns.

7. rhyx macrumors 6502

Not every AMEX card offers this. I'm pretty sure the Blue Cash doesn't.

My Centurion card does however.

8. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I think it only Gold, Platinum, and Black.

9. PLin macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure the regular Green card offers extended warranty too.

10. aviationwiz macrumors regular

I know that my Amex Clear and Blue cards also have this feature. I think almost all (if not all) Amex cards do.

11. eyespii macrumors 6502

I can confirm that blue cash does indeed offer extended warranty. Not only that, but they'll cover you one year AFTER applecare expires too, so you'd have a total of 4 yrs of protection. My mastercard would only cover one year after the standard warranty.

12. RandyJS thread starter macrumors member

Hey everyone!

Just an update that I did get my computer - it is maxed to the gills as far as specs go! Opted for the matt hi res LED screen - its very nice, except for the fact that there appears to be a defect in the upper left hand corner of the screen. It resembles an eyelash, and is about 10 pixels long or so....

I called apple support and they told me that since I was still within the return policy, that they would accept the return but I would have to reorder it with my credit card.... They would not do a cross shipment for me, and I will need this computer until the new one comes.

Being that my employer is reimbursing me for the laptop and I do not have a large enough balance on my AMEX card right now, I will have to wait until I get the reimbursement check, make an AMEX payment, and reorder the laptop. I anticipate doing this around the end of the month, which I made Apple fully aware of. They said not a problem, so if a refresh is due in the next 2-3 weeks it looks like I will be on board which is exciting!!

I am now having second thoughts about the matt screen, thinking about doing a glossy one this time.... Thoughts?

13. PDE macrumors 68020

I believe all Amex cards offer the double warranty service, but so do most visa and mastercards The best deal, however, is the visa performance guarantee that some VISA cards offer - an extension of coverage you buy beyond the second, free year and I think you can get a max of 4 years from date of purchase. It is reasonably priced, offers battery replacements, no-lemon policy and is hassle free compared to Applecare. They reimburse for repairs within a week and are just generally great to deal with. You don't get tech support from Apple, but you can take your computer to ANY repair center, including Apple, and VISA will pay.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Let's be frank here; if you're burning $2000 more than the Platinum and getting essentially the same benefits that normal people use, do you really care about a $2000 computer's warranty?

15. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i am always fascinated how people spend money just to be " EXCLUSIVE"
    such as this AMEX black card ( Centurion)

the extended warranty is also offered by VISA and Mastercard.

funny, but true story..
    my Dad and i were vacationing out in London a month ago..

Dad = AMEX centurion with a credit limit of xxxx ( i really don't know!)
    ME = Bank of America STUDENT Platinum VISA with a Credit limit of $700

we went into a local shop where my dad saw something that he liked for 200 pounds.. when he was about to pay.. the clerk said, sorry! we only accept CASH, Traveller's cheque, VISA and MC but not AMEX..

he was scratching his head when i gladly offered my VISA to pay for him..
    in return, he'll pay me back with interest ( of course!)
    ha ha ha!
    it's really funny how a 700 limit Student VISA saved an AMEX centurion.

going back to the OP's question.
    read the terms of your credit card even before you start using it.
    it's just like any other contract dude!:D

16. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Thats because AMEX charges 4% fee on each purchase for the retailer. But...with AMEX you get A TON OF BENEFITS. If I ever have problems out of the country, there are always AMEX stores where you can help and if something happens (such as a card theft) you can get a new card. If I want tickets to show before they go on sale, I can get them. If I want to get into a club, I flash the card or call ahead and they will get you in. If you want to go into a airport lounge, you can get in. You also are covered from theft and accidental damage for up to 90 days. AMEX is a great card and they have awesome service which to be honest, Visa and MC dont compare to.

17. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

18. RandyJS thread starter macrumors member

19. yippereee macrumors newbie

From AMEX's website and Buyer's Assurance policy (maybe someone can explain these in a clearer manner):

AMEX also seems to offer Purchase Protection that will reimburse you up to $1,000 if the item is stolen or accidentally damaged and any cardholder can take advantage of these services.

Also - thanks to the OP. I have an AMEX card and will be buying my first MBP soon - happy I found out about this!

20. bov macrumors 6502

Does my 1 year warranty for my MBP start the day i ordered my MBP online or when i received it?

21. eyespii macrumors 6502

22. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

crazy thing, a friend of mine's parents bought him a new blackbook for graduation and used american express giftcards to purchase it. . and he still got the extended warranty. and some of you are saying it is only included on certain cards. . i just find this quite weird.