Just purchased MBP 2night, play tomorrow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mark16q, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Mark16q macrumors newbie

Hello Macrumors people.

Just picked up an MBP 2.2 from my local Apple Store, along with the free printer and Apple Care. While I wish I could've held out for whatever new comes out, there were too many reasons I needed it now.

I've used PC's since the beginning and pretty much run my practice on them (CPA). But lots of clients have recently purchased quickbooks for Mac's, and the conversion back and forth is not working well. It's a known problem, with the result being corrupted data....not something I want to deal with.

So it was time to get a Mac so I can properly and safely work on my clients data without fear of losing everything. And what better excuse to get a new toy :)

It's already late 2night, but will crack the box tomorrow, get qbooks loaded and start learning the ropes. Fortunately, my 13 y/o son is already quite adept with a Mac from helping his teachers, so it should be a smooth transition.

My hope is that my present laptop Lenovo z61m will be replaced with the MBP. If I can get VMWare or Parallels dialed in, the Lenovo will go on moth balls. Will no doubt have lots of questions soon and look forward to learning all the tricks.

Mark

2. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Sweeet.... Congrats!

3. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

woow

congratss

its an iSweet machine, and im sure you'll love it man

you made the right choice of not joining in the waiting game

4. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

BTW, after you install Fusion and find it kicks butt. You can send me a Private Message to get my address so you can send that Lenovo laptop to me.

5. rsbell macrumors regular

rsbell

Welcome to the fold.

Love Parallels for all of that unfortunate Windows stuff, btw.

6. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Welcome to the family!

And good luck switching...I'm sure you'll find it to be a breeze - I did :)

7. Mark16q thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the props. Just finished my client meetings for the day, so the seal has just been cut....they better not introduce anything new today:rolleyes:

Now that it's fired up, it's downloading 100's of meg of updates so I can't mess with it. Good thing I don't need it yet today, 'cuz this is going to take awhile even with a pretty fast cable connection.

But it sure looks nice...

Mark

8. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Congratulations on your new purchase! Better than playing the waiting game, I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied with your purchase.

9. Mark16q thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got quickbooks loaded up, and the updates to the os are finally finished.

So just playing around a bit getting comfortable.

Could someone point me in the right direction to navigating the desktop and all the cool shortcuts to showing all open programs as small documents, etc. I've seen lots of nice ways to see what's on the desktop, but don't know what people were doing?

Thanks,

Mark

10. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Congrats! I just got my MBP on Monday. I know you will enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying mine.

12. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

The way I prefer to do what you're talking about is to use hot corners. You can find them under preferences < expose and spaces. You can choose what happens when you put your cursor in each corner of your screen.

Basics:
    All Windows - Shows all windows as small ones so you can see all of them at the same time (what you were referring to)
    Application windows - shows all windows of the current app you're working with
    Desktop - moves all windows to reveal the desktop
    Dashboard - reveals your dashboard (also F12)
    Spaces - shows all 4 of your available spaces

Most are pretty self-explanatory.

Good luck! And happy playing :cool:

13. CP1091 macrumors regular

CP1091

Congrats.

Macs really blew my mind when I switched, I'm pretty sure I'm never going back.

14. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Pretty sure? PRETTY SURE? Don't make me come over there.:cool:

15. Mark16q thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect...thats exactly what I was looking for. As I'm new to the Apple os, this makes it much easier to poke around and play.

Speaking of play...not getting a bunch more work done today :)

Mark

16. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Oh so jealous! Had to order mine online (2.4ghz, 200GB hard drive and 4GB ram) and it won't be here until Friday..... Looking forward to playing with it as soon as it arrives.

17. evilyankeefan macrumors regular

evilyankeefan

Please tell us you didn't order the 4GB from Apple. Please. You'll make us all cry if you did.

Grats Mark on the purchase and enjoy!!

18. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Not that silly a person, saw their prices, looked elsewhere, memory is already here waiting for my MBP to arrive. The 200GB drive is why I had to order online. Getting closer...... The hubby, a Windows IT guy, keeps telling me I've gone to the dark side. Silly man!

19. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Whoa...I wonder if "spouse is a PC user" is grounds for divorce? :p

20. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

21. Mark16q thread starter macrumors newbie

Brought the new baby home tonight, and hooked to the wireless router without a hitch. Prompted for the wep code, and away it went. Download speeds very good and consistent on 802.1g.

Once I took a break from it, my son immediately jumped on and video conferenced with 3 friends. While I could probably figure this out on my Lenovo, it was sure quick on easy on the MBP. He's having a ball and I'm certain I know what he'll want for graduation.

On a technical point...realized that it came preloaded with Tiger, with Leopard on DVD in the box. Everything seems to be working just fine....should I pop in the new disk for wait 'til I "need" it???

Tomorrow is time to shop for some sort of sleeve or protection. It's just too damned pretty.

Mark

22. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Glad it's going well!

I'd run Leopard straight off. No need to get used to Tiger when you're going to end up running Leopard anyway. And some of the newer features that you'll hear about and have recommended to you are on Leopard only.