Just purchased my first Imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Vapor matt, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Vapor matt macrumors regular

Hi to all, its a long time since i was last here and using my mac pro hex core. It was new out at the time and the last osx i used was mountain lion. then i switched back to pc for gaming purposes. and have been quite happy with the performance of a 4.6gz hex core sandy bridge and sli GFX with native sata 3.

Then the other day i was thinking how much i enjoyed OSX but didnt fancy the over expensive mac pro,s on offer now. so looked at the imac instead. it has improved alot in real speed and the 3.5gz i7 haswell 27" with SSD and 780M gfx looked a good spec. the last imac i owned was a G4 1.25gz lamp shade model which was cool. but not any good in real terms today.

so i just purchased my first 27" imac specs below

27" i7 3.5gz
    16 gig ram
    GTX 780m
    500g SSD

I know there is a new imac with 4k or 5k screen around the corner but thats next year and it will need some decent gfx power to get the most out of that screen. so i figured that i should buy now and upgrade in 3 years and enjoy the current model.

so first question to all is trim still working in mavericks? or does mavericks support trim in the OS itself?

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Likely yes Trim is running, however to verify open System Information - Sata/Sata Express and select the SSD and look under Trim Support. Apple enables Trim on Apple installed SSD's however if users retrofit to their own SSD Trim is not enabled by default.

3. Vapor matt thread starter macrumors regular

4. zarf2007 macrumors regular

All likelyhood shows that something is likely to be released this Thursday, at least a spec update if not including a 4k/5k screen. Bit of an idiot buying so close to that.....still, we'll try not to laugh at your old tech in a few days

5. tomegun macrumors 6502

tomegun

Don't you think it is rather harsh calling him an idiot?

OP, are you aware of the event this Thursday (10/16) where Apple will supposedly announce a new operating system and retina iMacs? Unless you have an immediate need, it may be a good ideal to return your iMac and wait a few days.

6. Vapor matt thread starter macrumors regular

well i could always send it back, but iam happy with the spec

7. Roller macrumors 68020

It's incredible how nasty people can be hiding behind the anonymity of an Internet forum.

But the OP's tech will be perfectly fine in a few days, even if it's superseded by whatever Apple announces.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I've got the exact same iMac as yours, just that I added in my own 32GB of RAM.

It absolutely flies through 4K video editing and even gaming.

9. leenak macrumors 68020

I would say congratulations but I'd also keep your receipts/box :) I'm considering buying an iMac depending on what happens on the 16th. My husband and I went to Best Buy today and he said if a new one comes out, I should get it so there is that :)

10. koulmj Suspended

koulmj

Bestbuy will take mine back if a new one comes out? I got mine on Friday.

11. leenak macrumors 68020

I think Best Buy has a 14 day policy? I'd double check but even if you wanted an iMac of the current specs, the price usually drops on them about $100 when a new one is released so it could mean $100 even if you don't want a newer spec'd iMac.

12. zarf2007 macrumors regular

Not really, isnt it common sense to do even a tiny bit of research before buying a high value item? Would you really buy a new car if a newer model were likely to arrive in a weeks time?

OP, what would you have lost by waiting a week? even if no refresh occurs you havent really lost anything. And if one does then you stand to lose at least $400 on the iMac you just purchased as the values will be pushed down at retail and 2nd hand.

I just wish there was a virtual slap button on this forum because I would be using it every day....wake up people!

----------

Or incredibly honest...depends on how you look at it.

----------

A sensible forum member posts.

13. tomegun macrumors 6502

tomegun

I am not disagreeing with you - I am in the market for an iMac but have been waiting for a few months and considered waiting until next year. I am just talking about calling him/her an idiot.

14. Vapor matt thread starter macrumors regular

Hey its ok, no hard feelings, i had no idea a new one was due out anytime soon. perhaps some research would have been in order but to be honest i got a very good deal on this imac as ive saved all taxes and with discount its $500 under what the apple website lists them for.

plus i can enjoy it now and not be waiting for stock of the newer ones. also got 3 years apple care thrown in. so all in all i got a brand new imac top spec of today saving $600 + with apple care, so i am ok with that.

plus last of the old tech all the bugs are ironed out, so looking forward to my new imac no matter whats due out in the next week or months.

15. nuggies5 macrumors newbie

I bought a 27" iMac last week ...well the wife bought it me for my birthday.
    I knew that there might be new iMacs coming out...
    Was i bothered ...not in the least
    Im i happy with the machine i have...You bet i am

Don't really give a monkeys new iMacs may be coming out...
    I wanted one there and then ...so got one.

Ian

16. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

A lovely way to look at it. There will always be a newer machine/device. Enjoy your new iMac! :)

17. Vapor matt thread starter macrumors regular

Hey thank you very much kazmac. I will indeed enjoy my new imac:)

18. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Pay absolutely no attention to the noise in here, Vapor matt. It's quite telling when the self-styled pundits feel the need to resort to arrogance and name calling. Congrats on your new machine. I've got the same one and trust me, it's not about to be obsoleted any time soon, no matter what new models Apple releases. Your 3 year plan is a reasonable one.

TRIM is enabled by default for all Apple-installed SSDs like yours. Conversely, it is disabled for any that you may add internally or connect via Thunderbolt. It is not supported at all via USB 3.

19. Roller macrumors 68020

Yes, I suppose it does depend on how you look at it. Personally, I like to be frank while not insulting the person I'm talking to, and I prefer to be treated the same way.

In any case, I hope that the OP is happy with his purchase, regardless of announcements on Thursday.

20. MacTCE macrumors 6502

MacTCE

Enjoy your new iMac! Sounds like a great machine and hey, if they do announce a 4K/5K iMac on Thursday you'll still be well in the window to exchange it.

21. Vapor matt thread starter macrumors regular