JUST purchased my Mac Pro. Quick problem/question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tanooki, Feb 2, 2008.

1. tanooki macrumors newbie

I just purchased my mac pro and I am about to set it up. However, I wanted to take a peek inside the machine before doing anything else, and I can't seem to get the panel off...

I know that these are supposed to be SUPER easy to take off, and I've done everything in the instructions- but it just won't come off.

I feel stupid for asking such a question, or maybe I'm not trying hard enough, but something just seems WRONG right now.

Any tips/suggestions or anything is greatly appreciated. You have no idea how hard it is to sit here trying to figure this problem out when I could be setting up my dream machine :)

2. Nate Hoffman macrumors newbie

Make sure the latch on the back is lifted as far up as it goes, then pull the top of the panel toward you and lift it up and out of the groove on the bottom.

3. newtech macrumors 6502

Presume you have disengaged the latch on the rear of the computer.

4. tanooki thread starter macrumors newbie

When you life the latch up as far as you can- should the side panel show any signs of release or ANYTHING? Right now, I'm lifting up as far as I can go while even just trying to see if the panel will show any signs of give or a hint of releasing.

Nothing!

(excuse my bad grammer and frantic typing habits at the moment :p)

5. SilverL macrumors member

Nope.

Once the latch is up, firmly pull the side cover to open the MacPro.

6. tanooki thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I feel like an idiot...

I was trying as hard as I could, but I'm just weak. Plus, I didn't want to hurt my new baby. I finally just tried everything I could to yank it off...and then.. BAM!

I basically fell to the ground. I'm gonna go sit in the corner now...

7. SilverL macrumors member

At least you got it off! :)
    I had a similar experience when I tried to change my hard drive in slot 1!

8. termina3 macrumors 65816

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I could tell you that Apple installs a glue along the seams of that panel to tell service technicians if it's ever been opened before... Unfortunately for you, that's a lie, but believe what pleases you, ignore what doesn't.

9. tanooki thread starter macrumors newbie

After messing around for a bit, it seems that the hooks around the hard drive bays weren't moving when the latch was pulled. After a bit of messing around, everything now moves like it's supposed to- and smoothly!

Now, the case opens easily with very little effort, so consider me a happy camper!

Thanks for all the fast replies and help!