just purchased my mac pro!

swingline

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2005
80
0
actually i did it before i got on my flight, but i did it and i can't wait! i got the base config and hoping to add another 2 gigs of ram once third party companies start fixing the heating issues. i'm also going to be purchasing an extra 320 gb hd and the 24" widescreen display from dell once i get back to the states. i don't really need a monitor that big but i do have a 360... so that sort of justifies it:p i have a question about partitoning for installing win xp for anyone who's using bootcamp. if i designate one hard drive for windows, when i save a file on the windows hd, will i be able to open that file on osx?

oh and my ship date is the 12th with delivery eta 18th!
 

swingline

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2005
80
0
ammon said:
Congrats! So, was it the video card or airpor that pushed your date back?
it was the airport+bluetooth. can't believe it didn't come standard:mad:
 

hadleydb

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
402
109
Henderson, NV
Wow the airport and bluetooth is pushing these machines back? I wonder if they will have a consumer installable option on those parts? :eek:
 

regan2

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2005
50
0
hyde park, ny
i'm fairly certain that both systems must be on the same drive, the boot drive. were you thinking bootcamp or parallels?

swingline said:
actually i did it before i got on my flight, but i did it and i can't wait! i got the base config and hoping to add another 2 gigs of ram once third party companies start fixing the heating issues. i'm also going to be purchasing an extra 320 gb hd and the 24" widescreen display from dell once i get back to the states. i don't really need a monitor that big but i do have a 360... so that sort of justifies it:p i have a question about partitoning for installing win xp for anyone who's using bootcamp. if i designate one hard drive for windows, when i save a file on the windows hd, will i be able to open that file on osx?

oh and my ship date is the 12th with delivery eta 18th!
 

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
15,307
25
Right side of wrong
regan2 said:
i'm fairly certain that both systems must be on the same drive, the boot drive. were you thinking bootcamp or parallels?
no, they don't. you don't even have to use bootcamp once you install it and it makes the small partition on the hard drive for the BIOS. after that, you just put in the windows xp cd and hold down C (i think it's C) and just install from there
 

swingline

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2005
80
0
regan2 said:
i'm fairly certain that both systems must be on the same drive, the boot drive. were you thinking bootcamp or parallels?
i dont know i think i'll just partition the boot drive and install xp with bootcamp then save all my docs on the 2nd hd
 

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
905
2
Copenhagen
twoodcc said:
no, they don't. you don't even have to use bootcamp once you install it and it makes the small partition on the hard drive for the BIOS. after that, you just put in the windows xp cd and hold down C (i think it's C) and just install from there
Link?
 

swingline

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2005
80
0
twoodcc said:
no, they don't. you don't even have to use bootcamp once you install it and it makes the small partition on the hard drive for the BIOS. after that, you just put in the windows xp cd and hold down C (i think it's C) and just install from there
woudl you recommend a different os for each hd or 2 os on a single drive?
 

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
15,307
25
Right side of wrong
swingline said:
woudl you recommend a different os for each hd or 2 os on a single drive?
i would recommend a different os for each hard drive....that way you don't risk loosing any files with bootcamp re-arranging your files on your hard drive. and windows is known for crashing.....you dont want it to take down OS X with it
 

CyberPrey

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
209
0
IGH, MN
Easiest and quickest way to install windows...

use bootcamp to burn the driver CD... do not partition your hard drive with it though.... insert your windows xp cd into the cd drive... shut down....

Then simply unplug your OSX hard drive (pull it out of the bay about 1") then reboot holding down your option key... you will then be able to boot from the windows install CD.... install windows as normal....

THEN... push your OSX drive in...

You will be able to boot either osx or windows by holding down the option key...

I highly recommend a seperate drive for winblowz... i mean, we all know that it is ULTRA STABLE and RELIABLE.. but just in case it does blow up you do not want to loose your osx with it... (as pointed out in an earlier response)
 

Mr. Mister

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2006
440
0
swingline said:
it was the airport+bluetooth. can't believe it didn't come standard:mad:
Yes, because it definitely would have been preferable to have everybody's Mac Pros pushed back for two features that can be added later and many people don't use.