Just purchased the new MBP and Samsung T3

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jln91, Apr 30, 2017.

1. jln91 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I just purchased the new Macbook Pro 13" (No Touch Bar). I am a little computer illiterate, so please bare with me. I have some files on my USB Flash Drive that I want to transfer from my desktop to my laptop, which "cable" do I need to buy since the new macbook has different "ports" now?

Another question: I just purchased the Samsung T3 and it comes with a "USBC to USBA" cable. Do I need to buy a "USBC to USBC" cable for my new macbook?

To round up, the only thing I need for my macbook is:
    - charge/sync my phone (I believe it comes with my Macbook Pro?)
    - a cord for my flash drive
    - a cord for my new Samsung T3

Essentially if there is a cord with all three that would be perfect otherwise I do not mind buying them all individually. I also bought a "USBC to USB Adapter" from the Apple Store, to use for my Flash Drive. I heard I can also use this to charge my phone, but I believe I can use the "lightening cable" to charge my phone? I do not need the USBC to USB?

Thanks everyone for all your help!

2. bluespark macrumors 65816

For your phone, you can either plug your Lightening cable (the one that came with your phone) into the USB-C to USB adapter you bought, or if you want to eliminate the dongle, you can buy a USB-C to Lightning Cable, also from the Apple Store. Either will work fine.

For your flash drive, you can also plug that into the adapter you bought.

For the T3, you'll want a USB-C to USB-C cable, so that's actually the only new item you *need* to buy at this point. One important qualification here, though: The T3 supports USB 3.1 throughput, which means more data can pass over the cable at one time for greater speed. Make sure your cable also supports USB 3.1 so that your cable isn't holding you back. Belkin makes one of these; I don't know who else does.

3. jln91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply, very insightful!

The cable that I bought is "Belkin 3.1 4K USB-C Cable". Could you kindly confirm if this is the one you were talking about? It was the only one in the Apple store that matches your description (that I ended up purchasing). However, when I looked at a review from the Samsung T3, one of the users wrote that only this USB cable works with the Samsung T3. It seems like they're the same specs, just different colors.

4. bluespark macrumors 65816

The one you found should work just fine. Enjoy!