Just put a Nvidia 512mb FX 4500 card on my PM G5 dual core 2.0

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by California, Jan 20, 2009.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

This very fast and very expensive new video card for my Dual Core Powermac G5 doesn't seem to be speeding anything up for me. Is this because the graphics cards on PM G5's still rely on the CPU or something? It still stutters when I'm playing back certain video online.

NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500:

Chipset Model: Quadro FX 4500
    Type: Display
    Bus: PCIe
    Slot: SLOT-1
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 512 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x009d
    Revision ID: 0x00a1
    ROM Revision: 2149
    Displays:
    Cinema HD:
    Display Type: LCD
    Resolution: 1920 x 1200
    Depth: 32-bit Color
    Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Rotation: Supported
    Display Connector:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That could be your problem. ;)

Unless it has TWO connectors and there's already one plugged in, in which case I have no idea what the problem is; sorry. :(

3. m1stake macrumors 68000

Video sites like YouTube use flash, which is all CPU. The Quattro cards are designed for rendering with apps like Maya, Poser, etc. Outside of those jobs, they don't make a big difference. Most games actually play poorly on Quattro cards, but I would assume you didn't buy it to play games. :rolleyes:

4. TrapOx macrumors 6502

The quadro is a professional card. It does better in things like CAD that need raw horsepower, not fancy graphics.

The X1900 and 7800GT (and flashed 7800 GTX 512) are a far better value since they perform better than the Quadro in everything else.

5. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

I haven't had the chance to compare it to its equivalent, but I game on my FX 770 on my (slap me now) Dell Precision M4400. True, the rez is 1200x800 and I'm not antialiasing hardcore, but textures are set to awesome and I don't get too many frames dropped... But yeah. The Quadro line was built for hardware acceleration on graphically intensive applications. Though games, one would think, fit in on that category, they're a different beast. I think (please correct me if I am wrong) improvement in games comes from higher clock speeds and more parallel processors on-card - the Quadro line simply adds more VRAM.

6. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Thanks guys... no there is a display connected: on it now. I needed a new video card anyway so coughed up the money for this one; just did not notice any real difference between this and the 256mb OEM card that came with the Dual Core -- I think it is the 6800 or 6600 or something.

7. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

LOL

But anyways, She already has a display installed, the ACD . It says No display connected on her second port :D

But like others said, the card you had before was good enough. This won't do much since most everything is processor intensive.

8. goMac macrumors 603

Flash doesn't do a tremendous job of taking advantage of the graphics card. A new graphics card isn't doing to make much of a difference for online video.

A new graphics card won't make much of a difference at all if your processors are too slow. The processor still have to get the movie to the graphics card, and they may not do that fast enough.