Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
Just put my new iPhone 13 Pro Max in the Tech21 Evo Max case with sliding hard cover that completely covers the rear camera lenses when not in use

so reassuring with the lenses completely covered when not in use... the surface of the case feels like some kind of rough plastic/rubber and makes it non-slippery. (but not as grippy as the rubber outer layer on the Otterbox Defender cases)

I basically got it just because of the sliding cover for the camera lenses.... never used a case like this before... hope I still like it after a week or two...(if not, I'm going back to using Otterbox Defender cases)

should have gotten the black 13 Pro Max, but nobody around here had it with 256gb...

found it at the local Best Buy store... $49 + 10% sales tax. (should have gotten it when they had it on sale for $10 off two week ago)

info from Tech21's website: https://www.tech21.com/collections/...s/evo-max-iphone-13-pro-max-holster-off-black

wCFAQR9.jpg

closed:

nFebFKy.jpg

front:

wWq91jG.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DonnyXMX and WNYX

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
Keep us posted on you thoughts after a few days..

so far, I'm loving the sliding cover. It's very sturdy. I was a little paranoid at first because I thought the sliding door would somehow come in contact with the camera lenses. However, it doesn't.. there's at least 1mm to 2mm of distance.
the only 2 things that will possibly make me want to return it are:

(1) it's not a very good-looking case... but I got it for maximum camera lens protection, so...

(2) have not decided if I like the surface texture of the case... never had a case with this type of texture before... reminds me of the texture of the stock on the M16 rifle.

WNYX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2018
I like the texture of the sides and the buttons. I'm looking forward to your updates on the sliding cover.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
I like the texture of the sides and the buttons. I'm looking forward to your updates on the sliding cover.

was about to go to sleep an hour ago... tried to use the 13 Pro Max's flashlight to track down my cat... I started to worry when the flashlight wouldn't turn on after repeated attempts.... :(

ooop.... I then realized that the rear sliding cover was closed... the flashlight was on alright, but the light couldn't come through. opened the sliding covered and blinded myself for a few seconds. :)

• Haha
Reactions: caligurl

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
Keep us posted on you thoughts after a few days..

after a day, I'm not so sure that I like the texture of the case...

it feels almost exactly like the black hard plastic engine air filter housing in most cars... it feels a little rough but does not provide enough grabbing power. (which means it has a tendency to slip out of my hand, unless I grab it harder)

I have the Otterbox Defender case and a Speck case coming in a couple of days.... will compare some more...

Reactions: bimmahh

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Yeah that thing is hideous. Sorry...

BUT, having said that, if it was purchased for maximum protection when rock climbing or mountain biking I'd say it's a solid purchase.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
Yeah that thing is hideous. Sorry...

BUT, having said that, if it was purchased for maximum protection when rock climbing or mountain biking I'd say it's a solid purchase.

it was packed back in its original box and sitting in my truck for the last couple of days.... will pass by Best Buy this weekend and I'll be returning it.

I could get over the looks... however, I can't stand the way it's surface texture feels... it's like holding a phone case made out of 1000-grit sandpaper.

also, the sliding cover for the camera, while very sturdy, requires using two hands to open and close, which becomes annoying after a while.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
Nice looking case. Wish they made it for my iPhone 13

they do make one for iPhone 13.... :) in fact, they make one for each of the four variants of iPhone13.(Pro, Pro Max, 13 regular, 13 Mini)

although... I did return it because I couldn't get used to the fine sandpaper like texture of the exterior of the case. :(

Reactions: helloapple1

helloapple1

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2020
they do make one for iPhone 13.... :) in fact, they make one for each of the four variants of iPhone13.(Pro, Pro Max, 13 regular, 13 Mini)

although... I did return it because I couldn't get used to the fine sandpaper like texture of the exterior of the case. :(

That reminds me when I had the Smartish Gripzilla case with the same sandpaper like texture. Not a fan of that either

reig3

macrumors member
May 30, 2017
I have the same case for a few weeks now. I like the surface, doesn't feel like its slipping out of my hands. So far the door works as designed. Stays open when need d and stays closed when thats what I want. I like the belt clip so I dont have to put the heavy phone in a pocket, it was one of my prerequisites for the case. So far its everything I expected.

Bob

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
I have the same case for a few weeks now. I like the surface, doesn't feel like its slipping out of my hands. So far the door works as designed. Stays open when need d and stays closed when thats what I want. I like the belt clip so I dont have to put the heavy phone in a pocket, it was one of my prerequisites for the case. So far its everything I expected.

Bob

that's true.... this case is more non-slippery than the Otterbox Defender.(which is what I got after returning the Tech21 case... although that's only because I got a sweet $24 deal on the Otterbox Defender from AT&T)

RickG

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
I purchased one of these at Best Buy - it had a manufactures defect on the silent switch door- I contacted Tech21 through their website and got zero response. The case I got will not slide in and out of the provided holster without massive force. The plastic they used in this case is hard and slippery as others have noted. The buttons also stick out really far, so when the phone is in your pocket the buttons are constantly being activated. My personal experience is #TakeItToTheMax , @Tech21Official , does not stand behind their products- they did NOT respond to my request I place through their website portal for repairs or help.

Madtiger27

Suspended
Nov 17, 2020
I purchased one of these at Best Buy - it had a manufactures defect on the silent switch door- I contacted Tech21 through their website and got zero response. The case I got will not slide in and out of the provided holster without massive force. The plastic they used in this case is hard and slippery as others have noted. The buttons also stick out really far, so when the phone is in your pocket the buttons are constantly being activated. My personal experience is #TakeItToTheMax , @Tech21Official , does not stand behind their products- they did NOT respond to my request I place through their website portal for repairs or help.
why not just return or exchange it at Best Buy? Why bother with the website?

Reactions: RickG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.