Just put new Hard Drive in MBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iBunny, Dec 26, 2007.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

Just wanted to let everyone know. The task is simple. I used the guide at Extremetech.com.

The whole process it self is much more intimidating than it actually is. Once you get going, you are complete in no more than 15 minutes.

I replaced my stock 160GB 5400RPM Drive with a Hitachi 200GB 7200RPM drive; which is currently the fastest Laptop Hard Drive available.

It’s worth it. If you are contemplating it, Just do it (Insert Nike Swoosh here). My Whole setup is so much faster and more responsive now. The faster Hard Drive really does make a difference. You can tell when loading things like iPhoto and iTunes, since I have thousands of images, and songs. Sorry, no benchmarks because when FedEx dropped off the Drive, and immediately got excited and wanted to put it in.

:D

2. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Well done on the install, I did wonder if it was straight forward and this was the main reason for me holding off buying a MBP.
    Shame about the benchmarks, I installed a 250gb 5400 in my MB as I thought the slight speed difference would be negligible, a good benchmark would have been cloning the drive then booting the mac up to the login screen.

Actually just found some great benchmarks on 2.5" drives, and 5400 rpm drives are sometimes at the top of the benchmarks.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage25.html?modelx=33&model1=425&model2=414&chart=142

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It was a little harder in the pre-1.5 GHz PowerBook G4 configuration.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It's pretty hard to say modern 7200rpm drives are faster than modern 5400rpm drives in laptops, as there are a number of factors that come into play. From what I've seen of benchmarks, you're just as likely to "beat" a 7200 drive with a 5400 drive these days, so it makes more sense, IMO, to go for the largest drive you can manage--particularly since speed increases as a function of platter density.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about it for awhile now. Might actually do it myself, or have a mac genius friend do it.

Some bench marks:
    http://barefeats.com/hard96.html
    Too bad they don't have benchmark of the 300gb (are the 320gb shipping yet?) 5400rpm drives.

6. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

This is true for sustained transfers, but seek times will always be better with the 7200 RPM drives vs the 5400 RPM drives. I don't know about you guys, but I don't routinely copy large amounts of data on my laptop. Even if you did, the source or destination would likely be the bottleneck anyway. However, seek times are something that are felt immediately.

7. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

I was thinking about changing the drive. But now I'm waiting for SSD 64GB for reasonable money (300$). Once something in that price range will show up I will take a plunge. I dont need more on my MBP. Have external drives and for everyday use 64 GB is enough

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I hope you didn't want your warranty or pay for AppleCare.

9. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I have a 2.0 CD MBP, one of the first ones, when the stock config was 80gb. It's driving me crazy transferring files back and forth from my external. Hey iBunny, can you link me to where you bought your HD? Thanks

I have applecare on my mbp, and I've come to the conclusion that if I ever need to send it in, I'll just put my old HD back in there.

10. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

The problem with that, is that most computers have techniques that they use to tell if the computer has been open, on many PC desktops, there is a sticker that leaves a residue (usually some letters) that can tell a repairman that the case has been opened. And in the case of the MBP, the process of replacing the HD would involve breaking one of these stickers or another thing.

11. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

For the record, opening the machine doesn't void a warranty. Even replacing a part doesn't void a warranty, Apple will still cover all of their originally installed parts, just not the ones you replace. If you damage your machine while replacing a part, then your warranty would be voided, but just opening the machine, or replacing a hard drive yourself does not void a warranty.

12. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

There aren't any stickers on the MBP that would "leave a residue" that would tell anyone that anyone has been in the machine while replacing a hard drive.

13. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Always a good place to pause when discussing Apples! No such sticker etc.

And as noted in other posts, under the terms of the warranty and the Magnuson-Moss warranty act, you don't "void" a warranty by doing your own service. The manufacturer can deny a warranty claim if they believe your service caused the failure. Rarer than you'd think. Lots of misinformation on the web about this, particularly on car/computer forums.

14. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816