Just put on SGP Ultra Oleophobic! some thoughts...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by applekiwipeach, Aug 4, 2010.

1. applekiwipeach macrumors member

Here're some observations and thoughts on the SGP Oleophobic (in comparison with the Zagg IS I took off):

- It does have the cutout for front camera, just like Zagg's.

- After installation, the screen looks super clear! Regarding the clarity of the retina display, I don't see much difference from Zagg though, but it certainly pleases the eye much more without the orange skin.

- To me it was harder to install than the Zagg. Dry install attracts more dust. It was impossible to get dustless screen to begin anyway with without using some tape. I like the fact that i can peel the screen on and off and remove dust with tape without a mess.

- At first, I got a HUGE bubble on the top area and couldn't get it out. I then realized the little top speaker piece was stuck under. I removed it and the bubble's gone.

- After a bit struggling with the installation, there's no imperfection. I'm happy!!!

- Even though it is Oleophobic, the screen still attracts oil a lot more than the rubberized Zagg IS. So even though it's clear like nothing's on the screen, it never really stays that way cos of the grease it attracts, but no matter what, it looks a whole lot better without the orange skin!

2. Steveo47 macrumors regular

awesome i got mine delivered today and am installing tonight. Im going to try installing it in a steamy bathroom, like after a shower. Supposedly it makes it easier since the dust isnt flying around.

3. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Makes it easier and will trigger your water sensors in your phone have fun voiding that warranty in a steamy bathroom bro! Dont bring your phone in a steamy bathroom

4. Steveo47 macrumors regular

5. OC513 macrumors 6502

this is a pretty standard way to do these installs.....in face many people say it works much better than a dry room. I have installed many BSE kits and always do it in a steamy bathroom and have yet to have a problem with a water sensor or dust.

6. nelly41 macrumors regular

You shouldn't trigger the water sensor installing in a steamy bathroom. They recommend this method cause the dust settles down instead of being in the air floating around.

On a side note you can install this using the wet method. I did after dust was caught underneath. I washed the screen and installed using the wet method. No problems at all. But don't like the oily smudges. Now I'm on anti glare hd from power support. Much much better.

7. psywzrd macrumors 68030

The water sensors aren't that sensitive that a little steam in the bathroom is going to set them off.

8. applekiwipeach thread starter macrumors member

yeah, i thought of installing it next to running water too but got lazy...
    It was definitely fine just with tape handy too. You get many chances to get it to perfect anyway! :)

9. trav54 macrumors newbie

trav54

I love the super clear but grease from the face is among the most I've seen on a screen protector.

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I got mine today and will follow some of the advice here. :)

I really like the anti-glare I had on my 3GS. I liked how smooth it was to use. The iPhone4 is the first one I've used without a protector and by comparison it is "sticky" if there is any moisture at all. I do want to preserve the resolution so no anti-glare and it sounds like I'll be wiping fingerprints a lot.