Just ran XBench. Cause for some concern..

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Wild-Bill, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Ok. Well back in February 2008 I bought an extra 4 gigs of memory for my 2008 8-core Mac Pro, bringing her to 6 total gigs of memory. I ran XBench back then, and had a total score of 183.06, memory test was 189.99. The "User Interface Test" came in at 388.27, as opposed to 311.12 with 2 gigs of memory under 10.5.1.

So yesterday I ordered 2 sets of 4 gigs of memory (2x2) which would then bring my Mac Pro to a total of 14 gigs of RAM, with the two 1 gig sticks from Apple in slots 1 and 2 (closest to the connector) on the top riser. Everything else is populated with 2 gig sticks.

I just ran XBench again (admittedly I didn't check online for a new version, maybe Snow Leopard capable idk...) Anyhow, My total score was 104.22, with a User Interface score at only 37.05, dragging the whole thing down. :confused:memory test was 203.58.

I am confused here... And somewhat melancholy. :(

*** For comparison, here are the Geekbench results:

6 gigs, 32 bit - 7793
    14 gigs, 32 bit - 10093
    14 gigs, 64 bit - 11265

Also, strangely people with 10 gigs of memory had higher scores than me on Geekbench. Must be some other factors at work there.

But for the life of me, I can't figure out those XBench results.

2. frimple macrumors 6502

In my experience Xbench results can vary based on the phases of the moon :rolleyes:. It's a horrible benching program.

Edit
    for example, I just ran Xbench and got 282.62 as the system score. I left everything the way it was and got a beer. When I came back I re-ran the test and my result was 284.45.... maybe I should drink more beer? :) I know it's not a huge difference, but Xbench is just retarded.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

XBench is a horrible.

And why are you comparing Geekbench and Xbench results?

4. Wild-Bill thread starter macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I wasn't. I was comparing XBench to XBench and just throwing in my Geekbench results to further demonstrate how wacky the XBench results (6 gig and 14 gig memory) were.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Oh okay. In any case, how are you doing with Geekbench?

6. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Yank out the 1gb sticks. Rerun the tests. If you do need then, put them away from the mobo.

7. frimple macrumors 6502

Suggest title change to:

"Just ran XBench and feeling dirty about myself"

8. Wild-Bill thread starter macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Seems fine in Geekbench. As Frimpple has suggested, it's just XBench. It's not even actively developed anymore, so I will just chalk those tests up to a waste of my time.