Just Re-Did my Portfolio Website (Critique It!)

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by AirborneAngel, Sep 10, 2012.

1. AirborneAngel macrumors 6502

So I just redesigned my portfolio website and posted some new content to it, and was wondering if I could get some critiques/suggestions from you all on both the design and content of the website.

Link: http://cargocollective.com/timbradbury

Cheers!

2. marioguarneros macrumors regular

marioguarneros

Hey Tim,

Your website's footer still shows 2011 as the only year.

I suggest updating the code so it automatically displays the correct year, otherwise eventhough you have redesign it to visitors it might appear as abandoned or outdated.

Or if you want to show that you started it in 2011 then you could update it to show: 2011-2012.

Cheers,

Mario G

3. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Some very nice shots in there!

Some thoughts;

1. Center the site in the browser.

2. Rename "faces" to "portraits" and take away the numerals.

3. Rework the contact details text so it's in HTML rather than in a graphic. This will be better for finding you through Google searches. Also add meta description text in your source code.

4. This text "© 2012 Tim Bradbury/The Daily Bruin" under the photos is for next/previous image. This doesn't make much sense, so better to use arrows here ">".

4. coder12 macrumors 6502a

coder12

IrishGrizzly pretty much covered what I was going to say: I can't stress his 3rd point enough though. For the visually impaired, using text is so important.

5. radug macrumors member

+1 for everything mentioned above , but i would also look at making the site responsive, adapt to any screen resolution.

With such a simple design, it shouldn't be hard at all to do it with some CSS3 media rules.

If you are looking to keep Helvetica as your font, have a look at google fonts or cufon for font replacement, thus replacing the contact details graphic with actual information, that gets indexed by crawlers.

6. manueld macrumors 6502

The thumbnails should be in a lower resolution rather than the high res scaled - to speed up load times. And everything else mentioned.

7. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

It's a nice and clean site. I like it.

Tho I do feel like the big logo at the left distracts you from the photos. Have you considered making the rest of the screen dim when people click on a photo? Or making the photo come forward and making everything else go to the background?

Also, when seeing portrait photos, the white area to the right remains clickable. I knows it's not a big issue, but it shouldn't be that hard to fix.

8. Smohil macrumors newbie

To show off with Horizontal Grid is Best of your Arrangement . Its Easy to step up from one to other and All Photos Are good . For other Visitors Those Don't have Idea why a Portfolio and whats it need . Follow slideshare link Described here . Thanks

9. AirborneAngel thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I really appreciate all of the comments so far!

10. jacktorrance macrumors regular

I wouldn't centre justify the site, particularly since your photographs are of differing widths - how do you know where the centre is?!

The centreline for a landscape oriented image will not be the same as the centreline for portrait oriented image.

Also, let the photographs have the biggest impact on the page - at the moment the vertical bar on the left is too dominant.

Your setup isn't a million miles away from my own website, take a look here;

www.nickworley.com