Just realised there is a built in firewall - should i switch it on?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by themoffster, Aug 6, 2011.

1. themoffster macrumors regular

I would never use a PC on the new without firewalls and antivirus, but I was led to believe there were no viruses for macs (i just got my first one).
    However when playing about in the settings I saw there was a firewall which by default is switched off.

Should i be switching it on? I'm not sure what the benefits would be if there are no viruses etc.

Thanks for any advice.

2. s.horsfield macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Turn it on! You probably won't have any problems anyway. But there aren't really any down sides to turning it on. Like say for example you had a house in the safest place in the world. Someone gave you a free alarm system. Your house probably wouldn't get broken into anyway but you may as well use it (and let's say the alarm never needs to be touched and just works). Also if anything bad was released later on you would have your firewall already protecting your Mac. Just my 2 cents, hope  I helped :)

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Yes turn it on ... weird that Apple does not default it to be on

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Depends on how you're hooked up to the outside world. Since you posted here we assume you at least have internet access :rolleyes:

If your router has sufficient protection then I wouldn't bother. On occasion I've installed software and then had to manually open ports in the Mac firewall, which I find rather counterintuitive (you have to go into Advanced… and then it lists stuff by application name, not by port :confused: ).

Rob

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, turn it on. It protects against unwanted access to your Mac, which is a different issue than malware. You don't need any antivirus software to protect Mac OS X from malware. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:

6. OW22 macrumors 6502

OW22

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, not at all.

8. 50548 Guest

FW should always be ON.

The only thing that may annoy you is when the OS asks whether specific programs can accept incoming connections (deny/allow prompts) - a number of them may stop working properly in case you deny them such access.

9. chris1184 macrumors regular

does setting the firewall to ON hinder remote accessing the iMac... tools such as team viewer for example?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, unless you deny TeamViewer access.

11. OW22 macrumors 6502

OW22

Excellent. Thanks guys, most definitely turned on. Already asked me for Skype permission so it's working anyway!

Never even knew it was there.:confused: