Just realised...

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
The words "Autumn" and "Fall" are synonyms for the quarter of the year starting at the Autumnal Equinox and ending at the Winter Solstice. As both of these relate to the Earth's position around the sun, it doesn't matter what country you are in. They are, indeed, exactly the same thing (late September through late December).

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
The words "Autumn" and "Fall" are synonyms for the quarter of the year starting at the Autumnal Equinox and ending at the Winter Solstice. As both of these relate to the Earth's position around the sun, it doesn't matter what country you are in. They are, indeed, exactly the same thing (late September through late December).
Unless you're in the southern hemisphere.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Unless you're in the southern hemisphere.
The southern and northern hemispheres should most definitely be at the same location around the sun. If not, we'd be having a very different conversation.

Local temperatures and prevailing weather differ across the equator for a given time of year, so calling something 'winter' above doesn't describe reality below. But if we recognize that we are now a connected world, regardless of what I've got going on in my corner of it, I need to adapt to the speaker's message if I'm to get the intent out of it. Apple, in California, says 'Autumn' or 'Fall', those mean the same thing, and they mean October through December on the gregorian calendar.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Technically that's not correct. iOS 6 is going to be released this summer. iPhone on sale date is all but confirmed as Sept. 21, which means iOS 6 will land the day before or early the day of.

This year Fall starts on September 22nd.

Of course it's only early by a day or two so it makes more sense to say coming this fall rather than coming this summer, but still it will be out in the summer.

Last edited by a moderator:

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
Technically that's not correct. iOS 6 is going to be released this summer. iPhone on sale date is all but confirmed as Sept. 21, which means iOS 6 will land the day before or early the day of.

This year Fall starts on September 22nd.
That's IF the iPhone 5 (or whatever they are going to call it) is released for sale on the 21st September, remember this is all rumour.
Thats the british spelling, as I'm british.

el3ktro

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2008
The southern and northern hemispheres should most definitely be at the same location around the sun. If not, we'd be having a very different conversation.
When it's fall/autumn in the northern hemisphere, it's spring on the southern hemisphere.

That's why the Australian Apple site is stating that iOS 6 will be released "this spring". http://www.apple.com/au/ios/ios6/

Last edited by a moderator:

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK

Local temperatures and prevailing weather differ across the equator for a given time of year, so calling something 'winter' above doesn't describe reality below. But if we recognize that we are now a connected world, regardless of what I've got going on in my corner of it, I need to adapt to the speaker's message if I'm to get the intent out of it. Apple, in California, says 'Autumn' or 'Fall', those mean the same thing, and they mean October through December on the gregorian calendar.
I was alluding to the fact if it's autumn in the northern hemisphere its spring in the southern but sure, I can be stupid if you want me to be :)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Mod note

A reminder that the Forum Rules state:
Corrections. There is no need to point out another poster's spelling or grammatical errors unless you think it is causing confusion. Remember that not all members are native English speakers. Communication, not correctness, is our goal. Examples: Don't correct members who spell Mac in all caps or who call the iPod touch an iTouch.​

Posts in violation of this rule, and all responses, were removed.

Now let's get back on track... Thanks.

Uguubot

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2010
Minnesota
I've always thought it was crazy that it's winter down south when it's summer up here.

Either way, to OP, you're thinking too hard. Regional differences, nobody in the US (Minnesota, anyways) calls it "Autumn". But autumn is just another word for fall.