Just realizing the versatility of the MM (any Logic users out there?)

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by patent10021, Sep 7, 2011.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

I finally realized the versatility of the Mac mini.

*HDMI out
    *500GB minimum
    *i7 option
    *small as heck
    *replaces my ATV2
    *can connect to my 40" flatscreen to be used as a display
    *and on top of all that any video file format you play via VLC won't need any BS conversion to Apple format.

I'll be using it for Logic audio work (on my huge 40"), as a personal computer and a media center. AND...I don't need to get a laptop for its small size or an iMac for its large display size. New 50"/60" flat screen TVs are looking pretty tasty right now.

Am I missing something here? Are there any drawbacks to the MM? I realize it's not as powerful as an iMac but would it be a lot slower than an iMac? I think I'm fine for Logic audio work too because some people are getting 25 tracks on their new MBAs. Mac mini should be a bit better yea?

2. lickitysplit macrumors regular

You just listed all the reasons I bought mine. :D. I love it as an HTPC

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

And lickitysplit, the server version is frikkn' Quad Core.

1TB (500GBx2) 7200rpm drives. MBAs don't have Quad Core and i7 even in the iMac is a CUSTOM option only. And it's a server. Don't think I'll need it though. Could come in handy though.

One thing I don't know about is the Intel HD Graphics 3000. Is that much better than the AMD Radeon HD 6490M or something? Is this at least upgradeable?

Looks great for Logic Pro. You using Logic?

4. lickitysplit macrumors regular

The Intel graphics won't be as powerful as the AMD because its an integrated chip. But unless you plan on playing games and using graphic intensive programs the Intel chip is perfectly fine. It just depends on what you plan on using the Mac Mini for.

5. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

If interested.....

Integrated on my Mini without one issue using it for normal web browsing, YouTube, some simple games like Angry Birds and such, Word programs. ;)

6. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

Still, seems like they missed the boat on offering only integrated graphics. I guess that's why it's not as popular as it should be.

Not that I would, but is there no way of installing a different GPU? I guess not since it's integrated.

7. qCzar macrumors regular

Unfortunately, you can't upgrade the integrated GPU's. Integrated GPU's are part of the motherboard, some even are a part of the CPU. With that new PCIe expansion for Thunderbolt, you could try to get a discrete graphics card running. However, I'm sure posts will be made stating whether it can or can't when it's actually released.

8. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

I'll probably but it anyway but I'd buy it tomorrow if I knew I didn't have to shop around and compare other Apple products. I wonder why they couldn't put an upgradable graphics card in there.

9. lickitysplit macrumors regular

They don't becuase the vast majority of people that purchase the server don't need a discrete video card. I'm one of them.