Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hashsi99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Iphone 6's for use on att. I called att and they sent the carrier update to both devices. Both connect to LTE and make calls. However, in places that my 2 5s have LTE, the 6's are on "4g".

I also did speed tests on all 4 phones in the same location and both the 6's have slower download and ping times.

Any suggestions? I'm most likely going to return and purchase att versions.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Iphone 6's for use on att. I called att and they sent the carrier update to both devices. Both connect to LTE and make calls. However, in places that my 2 5s have LTE, the 6's are on "4g".

I also did speed tests on all 4 phones in the same location and both the 6's have slower download and ping times.

Have you reset the network provisions? At&t has slower LTE than Tmo but should have better reception.

hashsi99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Yes.

I'm probably going to return and order the correct ones. Worried about future services (hd voice, VoLte).

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali

Call them back, you'll probably have to call a few times to get them to provision them correctly. I had the same issue, but got it fixed on the first call. It was provisioned as a non LTE phone originally.

hashsi99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
How so? Both 5s (att versions) are getting 15mb down, and the 6's are getting 9mb.

----------

Call them back, you'll probably have to call a few times to get them to provision them correctly. I had the same issue, but got it fixed on the first call. It was provisioned as a non LTE phone originally.

Was your 6 showing lte in the status bar?

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
How so? Both 5s (att versions) are getting 15mb down, and the 6's are getting 9mb.

----------

Was your 6 showing lte in the status bar?

It was my 5 that did that. It was on 4G for the longest time, then I found out that it should be LTE. Called up apple and the reprovisioned it and I think had me reset the network settings to get it to work. Took like a champ. I was wondering why my wife's always showed LTE and mine showed 4G, assumed it was a 5 limit.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
If the phone isn't showing LTE, then you're on HSPA+, which would explain the slower speeds. Call AT&T.

hashsi99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Update. Went to att and got a new SIM card.

Same problem. Both phones slower ping and lte speeds.

Can someone check their tmobile contract free running on att and verify?

lwdc

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Florida

I've been using AT&T on my T-Mobile iPhone 6 since the first time I turned it on with no problems using AT&T's network. LTE speeds are similar to what I got on my 5s.

tworth23

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010

Just plug phone into iTunes to update carriers settings you'll be prompted to update carrier settings then you should be fine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.