Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ragermac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Well I finally was able to convince my job to let me have my old G5. What a great machine she was back in the day. I am an Art Director and I made the mistake of signing off on the purchasing of this machine right before the intel mac pros came out. It took a while to convince them to get me a new intel mac and they ended up only getting me a iMac, but it is much faster than this G5 and what a shame, such a beautifully designed computer.

Anyway, I got tired of seeing it unused on my desk so I asked again today and they said sure, take it for free. I am excited. I plan on using it as a media center and a casual computer hooked up to my 55 inch in the bedroom. I killed my mac mini yesterday trying to upgrade the CPU. :mad: so this makes up for it a bit.

adddictedtomac

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
Well I finally was able to convince my job to let me have my old G5. What a great machine she was back in the day. I am an Art Director and I made the mistake of signing off on the purchasing of this machine right before the intel mac pros came out. It took a while to convince them to get me a new intel mac and they ended up only getting me a iMac, but it is much faster than this G5 and what a shame, such a beautifully designed computer.

Anyway, I got tired of seeing it unused on my desk so I asked again today and they said sure, take it for free. I am excited. I plan on using it as a media center and a casual computer hooked up to my 55 inch in the bedroom. I killed my mac mini yesterday trying to upgrade the CPU. :mad: so this makes up for it a bit.

Sounds like christmas! Only problem with PowerMac G5s is that they do not consume max 85-110W like the Mac mini, more like 500-600W!

ppcg4mac

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Northwest Kansas
You lucky son of a gun! I was recently (as in last year) fortunate enough to get a broken G4 (gigabit modded to GHz) for free. It turned out that the HD wasnt plugged in properly. ten minutes, and i had a my first Mac! Now im addicted!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.