Just received "advanced replacement" iPhone 4... clock is out of sync?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KapitanIksrog, Jul 22, 2010.

1. KapitanIksrog macrumors regular

I called applecare this week because of a number of issues with my iPhone 4 (got on launch day). The advanced replacement came today so I have two for a short period. First thing I noticed was that the new phone (SN: 85028...) has a MUCH warmer screen than the original (SN: 86022...). At maximum brightness the new one looks better and a tad bit brighter but at 60% or so (where I usually use it), the original wins as the new one looks filthy). I'm not sure that I like it and think I want to keep my original but am still concerned about the other issues:

-- No change in abrupt signal drop when touching the bottom left corner. If anything the signal drops faster with the new phone

-- The other issue was that my original iPhone 4 was outrageously unstable. It would crash over and over despite me restoring it, etc.. It would lock up after sync, etc as well. One thing I did notice was that the clock is off by 31 seconds. I actually did notice this when compared to my 3gs when I first got it but then forgot about it.

3GS and new iPhone 4 = exactly the same clock time
    old iPhone 4 (from launch) = 31 seconds slower than the others.

I find this very odd. Does anyone know what might cause this? I am wondering if something is corrupt in the phone. Also, if I decide that I am truly unhappy with the screen on the replacement, can I just send it back instead of sending my original back?

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

are you really complaining about 31 seconds?

does it bother you that every other clock in your house, at work, and everywhere you go, is off? or do you have every clock in the house synced to your iPhone?

seriously... :rolleyes:

3. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

I was going to post a new thread, but I decided to respond here because I have also received replacement iPhone 4s, but I am not having your issue.

What I am curious about is the serial numbers. What is the deal with them?

I have a 86028. What does that mean?

4. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Nevermind, figured it out:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=952544

5. KapitanIksrog thread starter macrumors regular

Every post on the forum isn't a complaint. I don't care about 31 seconds. I just found it odd and was wondering if it could be tied to the problems I have been experiencing. If it is a known, expected thing, then I don't care. I just find it odd that a 3gs and new 4 are exact and the old 4 is slow.

6. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

Unless you have the clock set to MANUAL, the time comes from the carrier. If it's set to AUTO then the phone is not to blame.

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

bring all your phones to the genius bar and complain.

8. Kinkade macrumors member

My iPhone 4 from launch day also has a slow clock. It doesn't bother me though, it's only like 30 seconds. Interesting it's not just me though.

I just use it as an excuse to make crapy Back to the Future jokes. They are worse then the ones I make when I get off a plane in a different time zone.

9. outz macrumors 6502

try this

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    What is with all the unhelpful comments around here lately?

With the automatic setting under Date/Time, all the phones should be getting their time from the local tower.

Unlike CDMA towers which are kept in exact GPS time sync, GSM tower time can be pretty far off sometimes. So the phones would be off, too.

However, it would be odd if one phone displayed a different time than the others in the same area.

I ran across two suggestions:

And this page talking about sync as well.

(Really need to search the Apple help site database at support.apple.com. Hmm. Tried it, didn't find anything.)

11. kre62 macrumors 68000

The "Warm Screen" is a screen defect. It has a yellowish hue correct? My first 3GS had this. It is definitely defective, get it replaced. Not to mention its ugly as ****. It used to be known on the apple support forum as the "nicotine/piss stained screen"

12. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

... yes :eek: