Just received an internal Cd/DVD drive....now what?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blkrazr-x1, Nov 18, 2011.

1. blkrazr-x1 macrumors member

blkrazr-x1

Sorry guys if this comes off as dumb, but for those who know, I have been having problems with my SuperDrive. I purchased an internal cd/DVD drive off of Amazon.

Well needless to say, I have it but now what do I do? I have absolutely no idea how to set this thing up for my MBP.

I know I need to buy a housing for it, but where would I start? Also, can it still be used through the USB port once it's in the housing?

2. zaxdude macrumors regular

Why didn't ya just buy an external one that's plug & play right outta the box?

Say, for instance, this one???

LG USB Powered Slim

Attached Files:

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

4. blkrazr-x1 thread starter macrumors member

blkrazr-x1

I thought the one I purchased was USB-cable driven. I can still send it back to Amazon no problem. Im looking for a external drive that isn't going to crap out on me in a month. I thought I read somewhere that portable external drives aren't that durable.

You guys have any recommendations for some?

5. blkrazr-x1 thread starter macrumors member

blkrazr-x1

6. zaxdude, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

zaxdude macrumors regular

Just pick one and go with it....Buffalo, Seagate, LG, whatever.... Especially since in the other THREAD you posted requesting "any suggestions" didn't yield much in the way of responses.

They will all work. I'd just make sure that you don't have to plug it in to an a/c outlet as well as connect through USB; that'd be a pain. The LG one I posted works through the USB alone.

And, on a side note, regarding the Buffalo one you posted above: did you read the reviews? There are two reviews related to use with Mac products. Looks like you could find suggestions by reading the reviews of various drives on Amazon.

7. blkrazr-x1 thread starter macrumors member

blkrazr-x1

8. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

So basically any usb external optical drive will work? I have an ASUS DVD R/W drive around here somewhere that I'd assumed was useless. If it would work with my Macbook I would keep it around.

9. blkrazr-x1 thread starter macrumors member

blkrazr-x1

I think the whole idea that hardware doesn't work with Mac is an old one. It's the software that hinders the item useless. I know, as I was reading through reviews, that certain blu-ray drives would not work with Macs because of the software.

People were recommending a software program called Titanium.

10. zaxdude macrumors regular

If you are still looking, Newegg has a Lite-On on sale...

$29.99 - 15% coupon (NGEXT15OFF) - $10 MIR = $15.49

free shipping

Lite-On at Newegg