Just received CTO 15" rMBP - Blown Away!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nylon, Feb 28, 2013.

1. nylon, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013

nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

So I recently required a complete change in my computing requirements and was able to consolidate into a single machine from a 2010 27" iMac and a 2012 13" MBA. Suffice to say that I wouldn't be traveling as much as used to and the iMac was not getting any use.

I ordered a CTO early 2013 15" rMBP specced with 2.4 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 764 GB SSD. It arrived today after a 10 day wait.

I am blown away by the quality of this machine and especially the screen. (I was lucky that I got a a Samsung Screen and Samsung SSD).

It's hard to explain the effect the screen has in terms of reducing the strain on the eyes. The overall build quality and speed of the machine is just ridiculous and it weighs less then the 13" cMBP.

But the screen, oh the screen!..... I have been ruined for the rest of my life!

If anyone is thinking of jumping on the bandwagon, I suggest diving in head first! You won't regret it.

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

They're gorgeous machines aren't they.

3. zsrhusain macrumors newbie

I have just order the rMBP 2013 model. It will be delivered early next week.
    How do you find out the screen and SSD manufacturer? Thanks

4. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Run this on Terminal: "ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6"

(without quotation marks)
    LSNxxxxx means Samsung while LPxxxx means LG

Source:
    http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...type-of-display-that-i-have-on-my-macbook-pro

5. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

6. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

oops, just wanted to throw it in there :p

7. medulla macrumors regular

Why would one be considered lucky with a Samsung screen again?

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Because of the image retention "issues".

Some LG displays show quite bad image retention. However, somebody ages ago had the great idea of making a test which showed the issue on pretty much every display (it was only reproducible in a very certain way) which convinced everyone that their machine was faulty. Some people went through 4/5 machines because of this "test".

Personally - I prefer the LG displays.

9. Ploki macrumors 68010

LG screens are more or less plagued with image retention. Actually, they usually look equally good. some even say LG has better colors. But they have a tendency to develop image retention somewhere in the first few months, and they are a tad "warmer"...

----------

The checkerboard test? That test gives my eyes image retention.

I have a samsung screen though, CTO, first order.

10. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

I ran the checkerboard test on my non-apple laptop (and quickly decided to look elsewhere while doing so - "argh, my eyes"!). There was not even a hint of IR. I maxed the brightness and did it again, leaving it for considerably longer than suggested. Still nothing.

I ran the same test on a rMBP in the Apple Store. Only left it up for about 2 minutes (I'd been spotted by the manager and didn't want to cause trouble!) and couldn't believe how bad the IR was :eek:

11. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yeah, if you get a good one, I personally think the LGs are nicer screens. Granted someone will probably come along with some numerical statistic that proves me wrong, but I personally prefer them.

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Another misinformed post regarding Retina display`s LG & Samsung employ differing technologies for the display panels, both have positive`s and negative`s. neither one is better than the other, however depending on the application one can work better than the other, personally I prefer the LG IPS display over Samsung`s PLS display, in reality for the average user very little separates them.

13. Ploki macrumors 68010

Early LG screens have it pretty bad. I didn't have any on mine.

They have warmer color by default and less light bleed. I took a photo of lagom.nl response test of the Samsung.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1528797

I guess the worse light bleed is due to PLS design?

14. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Stolen line.

15. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Not all of them do. Ordered mine day after announcement, no issues at all...

16. Queen6, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

At the end of the day this is a consumer product and both venders produce literally thousands of panels a day, so variance will and does occur. My own Retina has an LG panel and I can force it to produce image retention, yet in everyday use this has never been apparent. I guess I could take it to Apple and make an issue, equally I prefer the LG`s colour and lighting over the Samsung panel, equally the differences are very subtle and very much a personal preference.

All this "I won the display lottery" is juvenile at best, as by far the vast majority of panels function exactly as intended. As they say "empty vessels make the most noise" Apple produce computers for a purpose, however if people then choose to elevate these device`s to some higher level, well that`s on them. At the end of the day if you put anything under the microscope you will find fault if you want to.

Use your Mac`s, enjoy your Mac`s, make your living from your Mac that`s what they are intended for, not veneration...

17. lucasfer899 macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

It is ridiculous, I tried that test that came ages ago, and it produced retention on all of my: Tv, Dell E228WFP 22" Display, and on one of my 20" Alu ACD's. I wish everyone would shut up with this.

18. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Amen to THAT

19. Veradun macrumors member

It did on mine, which I just bought today (it's a Samsung). It's worth noting that it's an early 2013 model, too.

There are no perceptible issues with my laptop, and I'm not about to go looking for them either. I honestly think some people are just looking for flaws in their Retina MacBooks - which there will be, but it comes pretty damn close to perfection in my eyes. What problems are found are grossly overblown. UI lag? Psh, no biggie. Image retention? Nope. Scrolling lag? I couldn't care less. I came from a 2008 C2D polycarbonate MacBook and that's saying something. The Retina laptops are lightyears ahead in the span of only 5 years. I will use it as it was meant to and enjoy the experience immensely in the process - I already am :D

20. Ploki macrumors 68010

Unintentionally.