Just received MBP, but box was double taped?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raysmd, Feb 20, 2009.

1. raysmd macrumors member

So, I just received my new MBP that was a custom config. Serial # shows it was built 8th week of 2009. BUT, there something a little weird. the box was double taped. I peeled off the first tape and the tape underneath was clearly cut. so, this is either an open box MBP built to my exact specifications or something happened. anyone have a better explanation?

no dead pixels that I see. Screen is very nice 9C84 (LG).

interesting.

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Did they drop in anything? Such as iLife '09?

3. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

it could also be a random check by Customs. It did come fro China so perhaps Customs in Alaska opened the box. Does your MBP look like it was opened ? Was your outer plastic cover open ?

4. Totti macrumors member

They are double taped because they need to put iLife 09 in the box.

5. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

not necessarily true since both of my UMBP and UMB were not double taped when I got it. They both had the iLife 09 drop in DVD in them.

OP: regardless.. if there is no damage, and the plastic cover that protects your MBP wasnt opened, i wouldnt worry about it. Now go enjoy your new toy !

6. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Either iLife '09 or a check point. Maybe they forgot something? Lol.

7. Nik73 macrumors regular

I've had 2 MBP's delivered in the last couple of weeks and the first was double taped, but I just assumed it was because of the iLife 09 disk. That was a week three of this year. Sadly I got a replacement as it was faulty and this one wasn't double taped. It's a week 6, so I think the batch of machines that were floating around when iLife came out will all be double taped.

What week is yours out of interest?

8. Totti macrumors member

How do you tell? Coconut battery is useless as it tells me my MBP is 123 months old, and i just fired it up a couple of days ago.

*Edit* Nevermind just entered in the details in www.appleserialnumberinfo.com and found out it was a Week 3 January build. Niice :)

9. PDE macrumors 68020

Please do a search -- this has been discussed previously on numerous occasions. I've had quite a few MBPs and powerbooks arrive like that directly from Apple's distributor and even Apple. Who knows why, but they were still brand new despite having had the first tape cut.

10. Atomicfission92 macrumors regular

Got mine and it was double taped. Asked the guy at the Apple store and he confirmed that they put iLife 09' in the boxes for all their stock. Hence the double taping.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Can't they just send another package v. tampering with a SEALED box?

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's cheaper and more environmentally friendly to reseal the box than getting new boxes.