Just received my 2011 15" MBP - two stuck (red pixels)...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dkmlam, Mar 10, 2011.

1. dkmlam macrumors newbie

I have two red pixels on my HR AG display. Anyone know if I can fix this? I don't want to bring it in to the Apple Store

2. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

I would just take it in. Most of the time the pixel is stuck there is no fixing it.

3. endless17 macrumors member

14 day return policy without restocking fees if bought from an Apple Store. you should be able to get a new one on the spot.

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You likely can't and have to get the display replaced.

5. dkmlam thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone know if they can replace the screen right away or if they will have to give me a new laptop? I have a SSD installed so it's a CTO MBP (custom ordered).

6. /user/me macrumors 6502

Well bringing it to the :apple: store is the only way to get it dealt with, so you have to weigh how you don't want to drive there, to the annoyance of a couple almost microscopic pixels.

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

If you just got it, bring it back to the store and ask for a replacement. No need to wait for it to be repaired, its brand new. They have a 14 day return policy and they will replace the laptop if anything is wrong within the first 30 days.

8. endless17 macrumors member

replacing the screen is a highly involved process. i'd imagine if they offer to fix it under applecare it'll take a few days unless you opt for a return/exchange if your exact model is in stock.

9. dkmlam thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm concerned they won't have my exact model in stock. 128 GB SSD and HR AG display...

10. dkmlam thread starter macrumors newbie

I also ordered it online... does that make a difference?

11. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

Loaner?

It could take a few days to get it fixed, but I recall reading on here that Apple was to start giving out loaner 15 MBP's for repairs taking longer than a day?

I would just take it to the store and ask a genius.

12. endless17 macrumors member

if you ordered it online from Apple you can easily take it back to the Apple Store for a return/repair.

13. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Try this Java application - sometimes helps, sometimes don't :
    http://www.jscreenfix.com/

14. LadyK8 macrumors member

LadyK8

What about if you ordered it from Amazon and bought AppleCare?

15. eaf7s macrumors regular

Ouch, they definitely won't have that in stock I'm afraid. The only real option is to take it in, though.

16. citizenal macrumors regular

I had a problem with my mac's fan making a clicking noise, they said I can bring it in to an authorized repair center,(not apple), I refused and instead returned the unit for a new one. They received the computer on the 4th, and today I just got the shipping notice for my replacement. If you don't mind waiting, I would always get a new one, instead of getting it repaired. I have read posts from other macforums users that after repairs they will see scratches or dents that weren't there before.

17. HBOC macrumors 68020

I think that is a paid service..like the Joint Venture deal..$500 a year!

18. endless17 macrumors member

you won't be able to return the device at an Apple Store, but you can definitely submit it for service if needed.

19. LadyK8 macrumors member

LadyK8

Thanks. As long as I can submit it for service, I'm okay with that. :)

20. MMV macrumors newbie

Isn't there a service document that talks about acceptable amounts of dead pixels? Like on a cinema display they need 4 dead pixels before they'll warranty it, 3 dead pixels on a 15" MBP, etc

I remember seeing that somewhere before.

21. dkmlam thread starter macrumors newbie

I just initiated a return. They're going to send me a shipping label. I guess I'll have to order a new MBP and wait another week and a half :(

22. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

They do, but in practical terms they'll usually make an exception.

23. a.y.n macrumors regular

a.y.n

Since it's CTO, you probably have to go through Apple to get it returned, I would definitely return it if you can. I've never seen dead pixel on new (vs refurbed) items from Apple, so don't keep it.

Someone asked about Amazon, for Macs ordered from I would get Amazon to replace it, they will send you a new one, and you won't have to send back this one until the new one gets here. Amazon is probably the best place to buy Macs if you're okay with one of the default configurations.

24. dkmlam thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how long I have before having to return my laptop after the shipping label/shipping box arrives?

25. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Have you applied light pressure to the affected pixels with your fingertip? I had one on my MBA and it disappeared with a press.