Just received my first Ipad! now what...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zazaza, Mar 16, 2012.

1. zazaza macrumors newbie

Rather, its waiting for me at home. (and I'm seriously considering bugging out of work early)

While I've used peoples ipads enough to understand how wonderful of a device it is I'm admittedly a bit overwhelmed by all of the possibilities.

Is there a "newbie ipad owner" checklist floating around anywhere?
    just something that highlights what some of the more useful apps to download, or other things I should do when I turn it on for the first time?

any suggestions/directions would be appreciated
    thank you!

2. Radio macrumors 68000

... Now u will die peacefully ! Hah hah hah hah! (maniacal laughter)

3. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

You bought an iPad and have no idea what you want to use it for? :confused:
    Sounds like you wasted your money.

4. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Now you will send it to me right away!!!... Go now to your nearest post office.

5. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Apps are the key. Apple has some "Starter Kits" in the App Store that will show you a sampling of apps that are representative of different things you can do with the iPad. I believe many of them are free ("gateway drugs").

They also have a section of the store today that highlights retina-ready apps.

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

How about first enjoying it before worrying about what to do with it?

7. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

Almost nobody knows what do actually do with an iPad (sometimes), you always get things to do with it later. :)

8. EspressoQueen macrumors member

Welcome to Our world

I hope you enjoy your new iPad! I'm still waiting on pins and needles for mine to get here. :rolleyes: I found that AppStart was very informative and helpful and recommend it to newbies.

Have fun! :p

9. zazaza thread starter macrumors newbie

Its not that I'm worried about what to do with it or that I bought it without knowing why i wanted it and wasted my money (thanks)

I bought it primarily to use as a digital portfolio, but realize there are possibilities well beyond that.

I'm just looking for some insight to help parse through the thousands of apps that exist for the thing.

surely people have a list of "must have" apps, and while I'm sure this varies based on what peoples primary use is for the ipad, i'd be curious as to what people suggest.

10. mrt209 macrumors 6502

Not really a fan of app advice, but they have some nice app guides: http://appadvice.com/appguides

My only advice is to control your app buying or you'll end up spending $100-200 in just the few days. It's very easy to do.

Also, download the AppShopper app or go to appshopper.com and see if the app you're purchasing is frequently on sale, if so it might be worth waiting to purchase the app. I have download about 700 paid apps for free over the years using Appshopper.

Edit - Here's some apps to look into:

GoodPlayer
    Flipboard
    Appshopper
    TED
    Taskpaper
    Mr. Reader
    Mailboxes
    Camera+
    The Weather Channel
    Alarm Clock HD
    Tweetbot
    1Password
    TV Forecast HD
    Tunein Radio

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Let it come to you naturally.

If you find yourself wanting to do something that might be better done by tapping on an icon go look for it on the app store. There's something there for just about whatever you want to do.

12. zazaza thread starter macrumors newbie

this is great, thank you

and thanks for the suggestions everyone else. I'm not looking to go crazy right away (and understand how one could easily get carried away with app shopping) good advice that it will take some time to figure things out.

13. rebelw/acause macrumors member

rebelw/acause

Surely you've already done some research. When I got my first iPad I scoured the internet for what apps others liked and what they used theirs for. When a bunch of people said the same thing, I tried it. Eventually I found my groove-you will too.

14. lespaul85 macrumors member

I agree with the "you payed that money and don't know what you're getting" theme. Apparently it's advertising working at full success there!

Anyway, on to the actual answer I would give... I use mine for many things. When traveling, I use it for netflix movie watching, email (much better than on a phone), games and mild entertainment apps, quick research, reading PDF's, youtube sessions, etc. the list is huge when you explore the built in and app store apps... It's the perfect travel companion. But even when at home I can just pick it up and surf the web at a moments notice. It replaces the magazines in the bathroom with daily sudoku, hahahaha.... Or if I'm out at a bar with friends (which I always have my iPad with me), the people around me will talk about some topic and before arguing, they'll say "hey you have your iPad, look this up for us to settle our argument"... I become a necessity to them. Way faster than their little smart phones and usually a great platform to show picture evidence to a group!... and also don't forget it's also an iPod also underneath so i hook up in-ear headphones every night to it and fall asleep listening to either audible audiobooks or some spotify playlist... I also use it for educational apps for one of my sons, and heck, my other son is easily muted by shoving it in front of him with angry birds running.... I could easily go on and on.....

15. AFPoster macrumors 65816

They said over 80% of the pre-orders would be from new Apple owners not existing owners. No idea if that's truly accurate but still got to love more people joining Apple.

16. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

From the frenzy of people here upgrading, I think 80% will be current owners.
    There's no way for them to track if you are a previous owner or new owner unless you register your iPad. :)

17. lilj4425 macrumors 6502a

18. DuckSoup, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

A MUST is get AppStart for iPad 2012, which is a FREE app for the time being.

It's a very well done user's guide for what the iPad can do and some very great apps to do it all with.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id408984648

Mike

19. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Even if it's only 2% I'm happy, the more people that get on the Apple band-wagon the more developers will start creating App's for Mac's (i.e. a better QuickBooks).

20. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

You'll discover many uses for your iPad. When I bought my first smartphone, I had only a few ideas of what I was going to use it for. After using it for a while, I found so many other uses for it. I'm sure it will be the same for your iPad. Enjoy discovering what you can do with it.