Just received my iPad1, need some JB advice

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by maw4bc, Apr 5, 2011.

1. maw4bc macrumors regular

So I am a noob on the jailbreaking, but after reading some posts here, most people are saying not to upgrade to the latest firmware. So I am waiting to connect my iPad to iTunes because I am not sure I should connect it with my latest version of iTunes. I am currently running iTunes 10.2.1 (1).

Does anyone have advice for getting my iPad1 Jail broken? Thanks for the help

Mike

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

+1

OP- Alot of the forums that you are reading here might be a tad outdated. The latest OS 4.3.1 was only untethered as of yesterday morning, so you might be seeing ones that say to wait because of that. I did my 3GS last night though and its the most stable JB I've encountered yet.

3. maw4bc thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick reply. I am about to follow the instructions, but one quick question.

After just turning on my iPad1 I only have the connect to itunes showing. Is it ok for me to connect to the iTunes that I have mentioned above? Or do I need to roll back to a different iTunes?

4. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Current iTunes is fine. Download redsn0w.
    Blog.iPhone-dev.org

Search google for iPad 4.3.1 firmware. Install and run redsn0w, then just follow the directions. Easy as pie.

5. maw4bc thread starter macrumors regular

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

7. maw4bc thread starter macrumors regular

are there certain things that you can do on one that you cant do on the other?

8. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I think so. I could be wrong about that though. I know the Pwnagetool lets you choose Cydia apps to install before you create the IPSW, but I didn't utilize this feature this time. I'm on my bank work computer at the moment, so I can't verify, but I don't think Redsnow has that capability.

9. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Have never had redsn0w crash. Are you on OSX or windows?

10. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Was on OSX doing my 3GS. If I remember right, it was the version for 4.1.

11. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I'm also on OSX. I've never had a problem. Current version works flawlessly. Easy as always, simple, and unbolted. Don't knock it before you try it. ;)

12. maw4bc, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

maw4bc thread starter macrumors regular

I went ahead with redsn0w. Was quite a simple process. Now just need to figure out what I want to do with this thing!! haha

Any suggestions? I really would like to be able to wirelessly sync certain music from my iTunes to my iPad. Will mywi do that?

13. blevins321 macrumors 68030

If you have an iPhone 4, I'd recommend My3G. It will let you do wifi-restricted tasks over 3G. Biggest one is Facetime. Also will allow for >20MB App Store downloads over 3G.

14. tkadrum macrumors member

15. Dav1, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

Dav1 macrumors 6502

No!
    The MyWi takes you in a different direction....

Have you tried the new Home sharing feature? Within your home this supports sharing of everything in iTunes! It doesn't work however out side of your local home network :(

I believe you are thinking of Wi-Fi Sync this wireless sync program does not yet support 4.3.1 iOS... It works with iTunes 10.1.1 not 10.2

16. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I like SBS Settings. It brings up an instant window with a screen swipe, that allows access to many common settings, like Brightness, Wifi on and off, clear memory, shows all apps open and you can close them. for me saves so many steps in the Apple menu.
    I want to try Voice Activator, that allows almost unlimited control thru voice commands. I know it works with the iPhone, have to check on the iPad. and Wireless Sync may be good but not updated yet for 4.3.1 and costs $10.
    I like the one that does away with the iPad swipe to unlock screen, and many more on my iPhone and Touches.

17. maw4bc thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I am actually trying to figure out a way to sync (and automatically sync when changed on iTunes->iPad)? Doesn't matter to me if it's only when I'm on my home wifi. I just don't want to have to plug in my iPad to keep everything synced.

Like if I delete a song from a playlist on my iTunes, I want it to automatically remove it from my iPad. Or if I add a few songs on iTunes, I want it to sync with my iPad.