Just received my new iMac G4.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by appleish19, Sep 5, 2016.

1. appleish19 macrumors regular

appleish19

Finally found one of my favorite PPC a iMac G4. 17 inch 1.25 gigahertz. Looking to upgrade it to an SSD and 2 GB of RAM. So stoked about the condition. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

3. appleish19 thread starter macrumors regular

appleish19

Installing Leopard and the essentials now.:D

4. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

Nice, it's one of my favorite iMac designs.

5. Ace2617 macrumors regular

Ace2617

Love the iMac G4's. Very nice one you have there.

6. appleish19 thread starter macrumors regular

appleish19

Yeah it seems to be in great shape. Need to get some pro speakers.

7. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Yay! buddies! I have the very last model (USB 2.0, massive screen)

8. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

You beat me to it with the comments about now getting the speakers. They're a MUST, and transform the sound of these great iMac's. It took me ages to find a 20" to add to my 15" and 17", but I now prefer the overall look and feeling of the 17", especially the 1.25GHz USB2 model. Don't forget to max out the RAM. Unfortunately the innermost 184pin PC-2700 1GB SDRAM sticks are getting difficult to find.
    Do ensure that yours has been recently 'spring-cleaned' internally and thermally re-pasted, as after a few years use they do get terribly clogged up with dust and debris, which reduces the convection cooling efficiency.

9. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

If you open it, watch out for the wifi and bluetooth antennas. Mine came pinched in half. I replaced the wifi one but didn't realize that, if you're not paying attention, it'll pinch in half.

BT one is virtually impossible to find online. :/

10. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Wow, the condition is amazing! Great job finding this iMac. The iMac G4 is also my favorite Mac, I have a 15 inch 700MHz version. If you have chosen Leopard for your iMac (probably a good choice with a processor of that speed), I recommend you read the guide here:
    http://ppcarchive.dyniform.net/tuning-a-g4-for-leopard.html
    to speed up your iMac. I followed all of the steps on my iBook G4 1.33GHz and the speed got much faster. Another thing you could try is the Leopard Market, which is like an app store for PPC that I made. More details at http://leopardmarket.eu5.org.
    I hope you have a great experience with your iMac, and congratulations on finding it at such a great condition!

11. appleish19 thread starter macrumors regular

appleish19

Hey,

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. Yeah I'm really excited about the condition as well. Thanks for the tip on the market looks exciting. Sorry about the late reply been a busy start to my semester of school. :eek: