Just received my new rMB... stuck during setup :(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by carrerascott, Apr 22, 2015.

1. carrerascott macrumors regular

Powered up, started setting up, Unchecked FileVault, click continue, and now I have spinning beach ball for 5 minutes so far. :(

Not a good start.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

there are threads all over, use the search. You either need to restart, wait 30 minutes, or not be connected to the internet during set up.

3. noobinator macrumors 601

Go eat lunch or dinner whatever and come back in 30 minutes. It will move.

4. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Some ppl on youtube said that it happened to them too. Wouldn't be too wrried about it.

5. phas3 macrumors 65816

it has something to do with file vault encryption, you can either restart and not choose a wifi during setup or wait about 30-40 mins to see if it resolves the issue by itself.

6. carrerascott thread starter macrumors regular

Forced shutdown, restarted, and seems ok. Doing OS X update now. Just very windows-ish to lock up during setup. Apple should be better than that...

Like it but haven't really used it much yet. Will after update is done!

----------

Ps I unchecked FileVault before it hung. But did have it on wifi. So it wasn't a FileVault setup issue.

7. newellj macrumors 601

IIRC, there is a post on the front page saying that e problem is on Apple's servers, not on the machine (and not FV).

8. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

You can turn on FileVault after setting up. It's a good idea.

9. newellj macrumors 601

Yes to both. ;) Remember that FV won't run on battery power (so, for example, if you leave the computer running overnight, but unplugged, FV won't continue encryption).

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

The best way to set it up is by not connecting to the internet during the main pages. It literally took me 10-20 seconds to be on the home screen. After that, I set up file vault and my iCloud account without problem.

11. carrerascott thread starter macrumors regular

Loving the keyboard so far. Will be able to spend more time with the rMB tomorrow.