Just received new iPod from China...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by BryanLyle, Sep 15, 2008.

1. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

So, FedEx delivered my daughter's new iPod this morning and I noticed that the box had been cut open where it was taped shut, and the white wrapping around the ipod case had been removed and reapplied.

Somebody at FedEx looking for something? Or am I being paranoid? We had this iPod engraved, so maybe they saw that and decided not to steal it.

First time I have ever had a package that had been opened when it was delivered. Anyone else ever experience this?

2. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Maybe Apple had to open it to do the engraving.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Sounds pretty logical to me

To the OP, check everything is in there compared with Apples list of "What's in the box" on the ipod page

4. BryanLyle thread starter macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

Everything was there. Not only was the iPod case opened, but also the shipping container.

Just seemed odd.

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Hmmmm, the shipping container being open is very very strange to me, but as long as everything is still there I'd say you don't have anything to worry about, enjoy your new iPod :)

6. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i had my ipod engraved as well
    the box did not look totaled as what you say it is.
    but however i did not have the plastic packaging on the ipod plastic case that holds it. i could just ope then thing right away. so yea. i think apple took it out and engraved it. not to mention there was a scracth on the shiny back... which i know i didnt put on.. (ipod nano 3rd Gen) so yea apple probably did take it out and put it back. but then of course you can never know whats happening in china

7. Madness macrumors regular

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Either it was mistakenly packaged before the engraving, so they opened it back up and did the engraving, or it is a random check by customs.

TEG

9. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

or now you have the complete Spice Girls discography loaded on your ipod...

10. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

i secodn thta notion!!!

11. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

If the package was shipped from China it might have been search at the port of entry. Generally though, they put a sticker on if they did.

12. Moriarty macrumors 6502

Yeah you would think Customs would somehow let you know if they had searched the package. But if you're still not happy with receiving it being already opened, you would probably have a case to send it back and get a new one.

13. sgtboy macrumors 6502

14. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

you are right to think that someone might have opened it up. if customs had opened it, they would have let you know via a sticker. i don't know if apple would have ipods already put into shipping packaging, then opening them up for engraving purposes. seems like they would just leave the ipods in apple packaging, engrave it, then pack it into shipping packaging.

so if someone did tamper with it, it's most likely a fedex employee? but the question is what can you do about it?

15. redsoxunixgeek macrumors regular

redsoxunixgeek

Customs probably opened it - if it DHS doing a random package they usually dont put a sticker on it.